HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Buckshot.. Is it for people who can't shoot? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/300618-buckshot-people-who-cant-shoot.html)

Planter 08-15-2009 01:46 PM

Buckshot.. Is it for people who can't shoot?

Aside from the few guys who use specialized shotguns with super full chokes and can actually pattern nicely at 40 yards is buckshot an efficient deer round??:s1:

09monsterbuckmaster 08-15-2009 03:24 PM

id rather used slug or bullet just to be safe for the longer shots

Centaur 1 08-15-2009 03:37 PM

If a deer is close enough for buckshot to be effective there should be no problem with hitting him with a slug. Slugs work so much better at killing deer.

sauer06 08-15-2009 04:02 PM

I have never hunted deer with a shotgun, so I am not an expert in that field. All of my hunting has been with centerfire rifles. But from what I know and I am a reloader a slug has a much longer range and a much greater chance of killing a deer. I have shot 12 gauge buckshot at the range and I was very surprised at how quickly the shot dispered. Out of my A5 with a full choke I would not take a shot over 20 yards with buckshot. With a rifled slug barrel and proper sights you can easly take any American game animal at 100 yards.
Doug Olwin

hossdaniels 08-15-2009 04:14 PM

A buckshot pellet is roughly the same as a 22lr(except the 22 has a better bc). Dont be expecting any easy tracking jobs. Its can be deadly if you are under 20 or 25 yards and can be sure to get ALL the pellets in the kill zone. Its what I have in my HD shotty. I figure its good to atleast 7 yards on two legged critters, but I aint planning on tracking them.

13pointjomc 08-15-2009 05:31 PM

My stoeger 2000 with a full choke will put all 15 pellets in a 12'' circle at 40 yards,i wan't hesitate to hunt with it in the thick stuff!

FlDeerman 08-15-2009 05:45 PM

Never had a problem with it at close range,learn how far you can shoot.

timbercruiser 08-15-2009 06:08 PM

In some areas of the country that allow dog hunting for deer buckshot is the only thing that is allowed for shooting deer. Within 40 or so yards it is a very deadly round. Just like any other round you need to know the limitations.

nchawkeye 08-15-2009 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Planter (Post 3408867)
Aside from the few guys who use specialized shotguns with super full chokes and can actually pattern nicely at 40 yards is buckshot an efficient deer round??:s1:

Actually, you show that you have never patterned or used buckshot on deer by assuming that a full choke is the best choke to use...Like a centerfore or muzzleloader, you have to try different loadings and chokes to see what patterns the best...Many guns shoot better with a more open choke because the buckshot isn't squeezed together and then sprayed out like a over choked garden hose...

Buckshot is quite deadly if used in the right situation...A hunter just needs to know his weapon and how to use it...

Try it sometimes before jumping to conclusions...

Allen Denton 08-15-2009 06:44 PM

Like said before, I am in a county that is buckshot only. I have tried several different chokes and loads and I am very comfortable with my gun. I feel that if I have a deer standing still I can go out to 50 yards and running I try and keep it at around 40.