Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shoot? Or Don't Shoot?  What would you do? >

Shoot? Or Don't Shoot? What would you do?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shoot? Or Don't Shoot? What would you do?

Old 08-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mcraddock
This is not an answer. You did not read the post at all. You scanned it and assumed I was poaching and called me a dumb hunter. Please reread the post and come back when you have something worthwhile to contribute.

Simply " Would you shoot or not? "

If you don't like the situation, then say "No, I wouldn't shoot" And give a little insight.

I knew this was a hypothetical question. I read the whole post. I never once thought you poached. My answer should have said something about the hypothetical hunter being dumb, so as not to get your panties in a bind. I still stand by my answer (that you feel is not an answer) that the hunter is not all that smart for placing a stand in position that limits his effective harvest area to 1/2 of what it would be if the stand is in another location. No one would intentionally do that, so in the back of that hunters mind, he/she will take the shot if it presents itself.

Me, yeah, I probably would (as would the majority hunters once the got off their moral highground, I am sure to get flamed for this). But as my post tried to illustrate, I would not erect a stand in a place that would even make this an issue. So while I say yes I would, in reality it would not happen in one of my setups.
Old 08-16-2009, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by teedub31
I knew this was a hypothetical question. I read the whole post. I never once thought you poached. My answer should have said something about the hypothetical hunter being dumb, so as not to get your panties in a bind. I still stand by my answer (that you feel is not an answer) that the hunter is not all that smart for placing a stand in position that limits his effective harvest area to 1/2 of what it would be if the stand is in another location. No one would intentionally do that, so in the back of that hunters mind, he/she will take the shot if it presents itself.

Me, yeah, I probably would (as would the majority hunters once the got off their moral highground, I am sure to get flamed for this). But as my post tried to illustrate, I would not erect a stand in a place that would even make this an issue. So while I say yes I would, in reality it would not happen in one of my setups.
Point taken. Thank you for your input. I feel pretty much the same way you do in your last paragraph. Given the temptation, I might fold. I even said that in the original post. I was curious to know who else could admit that and I've got some really good answers. It's important to not have that kind of temptation or dangerous situation, yet it does occur. Just doing my part to make sure it doesn't happen on my lease.

My panties are officially unbinded.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always make it a point to know which neighbors property I can hunt and which I can't hunt before the season starts . Also if there are areas they would rather not have hunted . Saves a lot of time and isn't that much trouble to know where you stand at all times . Why wait and then aybe cause a lot of bad feelings .
Old 08-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My hunting rights mean more to me than one lousy deer. Hunting on someone else's property just one time (without permission)can lose you your rights for up to 5 years. FOR JUST ONE OFFENSE! So if one of you are dumb enough to lose your rights over shooting one deer go ahead.

The ones of you that would take the shot are the same ones that give hunters a bad name. If you would knowingly break that law you would break another. If your a law breaker than your a crook and aren't trust worthy at all. I wouldn't hunt with you, run with you and you sure as hell wouldn't be allowed around my stuff or on my property.

There's no moral high ground, you either have ethics or you don't. Which one are you?
Old 08-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Simply " Would you shoot or not? "
No.

Besides it would make a great "you should have seen the one that got away" story
Old 08-16-2009, 05:15 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't nearly have the guts to make the shot because I can't imagine the confrontation and consequenses if the whole thing goes south...
Old 08-16-2009, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would not shoot but would be calling my a$$ off.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Timber and Ridge got it right !!!

+1
Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

It would be tempting, but I think I would watch him close, if he steps in the river he is going down. I wouldn't shoot unless he becomes fair game.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Magic
Ethics. How about Hunter Ethics. Suppose you have ONE tag left and shoot a VERY nice 8 pointer. Your best deer ever. Before you can climb down from the stand, a HUGE 12 pointer walks up and stands over the downed 8 point. You know that this buck will make B&C. Do you shoot???

You only had 1 tag. If you shoot, what do you do with the "other" deer? You now have an illegal deer. Do you then lie to B&C to have it entered?

I know that my example was different than yours, but it still boils down to ETHICS !!! The true test of a man is "what he will do when no one is watching and he knows that no one will ever know but HIMSELF" !!!

Now this would be a hard one...I believe to be honest I would shoot if the deer was that big! hopefully my son or buddy has an empty tag for the other deer....you said be honest!

As for shooting across the river or property line, no I wouldnt, not if I didnt have permission to hunt that area.

not sure what the difference is but there seems to be one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.