Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Going Deer Hunting With Health Problems Question. >

Going Deer Hunting With Health Problems Question.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Going Deer Hunting With Health Problems Question.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Going Deer Hunting With Health Problems Question.

I know to be sucsessfull in deer hunting, you have to get up early and get in the woods well before daylight.
However, becasue of the health problems that I have,
I am not able to get up early in the am.
I can go, after I get up and the cobwebs go away.
But by then its allready daylight.

So my question is,

How would you go deer hunting, or any thing hunting later in the morning?

Thank You

jrbsr
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't put getting up before dawn and getting out in the woods as an absolute necessity.

I can tell you first hand I have been the last one out - well, well after dawn and bagged plenty of deer. And when starting out "late" I have probobly gotten half my deer on the way in and half on stand.

I believe the key to moving in the woods is to move not very, very slowly - but extremely s-l-o-w-l-y. When you walk you have to look where you are walking, where you are stepping, what you could step on that might break or snap and make noise vs. where you want to step. That detracts from looking around and seeking even the slightest movements that might be a deer. Much like deer do to avoid us hunters.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Fork Horn

I NEVER get to my stand in the dark. Primary reason is rattlesnakes. I've killed my share of deer and most were mid morning or late afternooon. Oh-dark-thirty is not a necessity.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I love that first hour of daylight in the morning, but most of my deer and a lot that I see are between 8:30 and 10:30 A.M. I believe in the lunar cycles. I work at night, and when the moon is about 1 hour before directly overhead to 1 hour past directly overhead, the deer and every other critter are stirring. That goes for when the moon is up in the daytime, and when it is underfoot on the other side of the earth. I have killed several deer in the middle of the day when most everybody else is in camp.
My advise is get a comfortable stand, and sit as long as possible. The deer are either moving or they are not. When they are not moving, you will not see them, not even in the wee early hours. You have to be in the stand when they move, and unless they have gone completely nocturnal from hunting pressure, they can move anytime during the day.

C. Davis

Last edited by C. Davis; 08-14-2009 at 06:52 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

To me, being in the woods, all setup long before first light, is important. It gives the woods a chance to calm down and you're already set and waiting as deer continue moving before dawn.

That being said, of you cannot do that, then get in the woods whenever you can and stay the remainer of the day if possible. If you can be setup by 8AM, great, if not until 11AM, that's OK too. The point is to get your things in order and be ready to hunt as soon as you feel you can.

Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2009, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Hunt afternoons or midmornings. Both are good. why cant you get up?? If thats the case wake up earlier, let the cobwebs clear and than get in the woods maybe??
-Jake
Old 08-14-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunt in the afternoon, or as someone else stated, wake up super early and the cobwebs are gone in time to get to the stand early. That may require you to go to bed a little after supper, but that wouldn't bother me too much.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Go when you feel up to it, or feel like it. Remember, this is supposed to be fun. I have killed deer at 10:30 in the AM and 1:00 PM so go when you feel up to it. I am glad to see that you are still trying to get out and hunt. I have had 6 back operations and I still try to get out when I can. I can't hunt like I used to but i still get out there and enjoy myself and I occasionally bring home some venison.

Bob
Old 08-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Typical Buck

I'm young and spry, and still have a tough time getting in the woods well before dawn sometimes. One such time that sticks in my mind was last December, and after a 32 oz. mountain dew and a late night at the bowling alley I didn't get to the woods until about 9. I walked in slowly and got settled in to my stand. I shot a doe only about an hour and half after that. There was a good snow cover and a full moon the night before, so I figure that's why the deer were moving midday. If you can't get out in the wee hours of the morning, don't sweat it. I'd concentrate on time periods when the moon is fuller and like others have said spend as much time in the woods as you can. Hope this helps.
Old 08-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Spike

i am sure you will see a deer during the day. go around sunset

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.