Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Deer and their relationship to rivers >

Deer and their relationship to rivers

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer and their relationship to rivers

Old 08-03-2009, 07:44 AM
Spike

Default Deer and their relationship to rivers

I went out driving on a public management area getting ready to start scouting for deer. I came across an area that wasn't wooded. It was flat, dried up marsh with tall grass and noticed that the grass was parted. I figured deer had moved through it recently. Sure enough, I get out and look at the ground and see many tracks. The main road travels west and east and to the south of the road, about 1 mile, is the bank of the Mississippi as it makes a bend to the west.

Without having followed the tracks to investigate I was curious if there's any relationship between large rivers and Whitetail Deer. Such as they just like to hang out around them or if they seek bedding near them and such.

Thanks for any information.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

. Damn double posts.

Last edited by crokit; 08-03-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

River Bottom/creek bottom cover is some of the BEST whitetail habitat in any given area that has such cover, with some being better than others, depending on the nature of the cover. Personally, I like areas with lots of flood debris, multi-floral rose, and cane. The answer is yes to both your questions.

Last edited by crokit; 08-03-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Deer relationships with rivers?

I knew a deer that once dated a river - but it ran away.

Seriously, I ABSOLUTELY love hunting creek bottoms! I used to hunt a piece of property in Williamson County (IL) that had a mostly dried up creek running thru it. The bed was maybe 40 feet wide or so but usually just had a little trickler running thru it.

I always set up on that bed. It is so easy to see were the deer have moved by their clear tracks. I would get downwind and off the bed a ways and just wait. That place was a real jackpot!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

Some of the biggest racked bucks I've ever seen came from the river bottoms of the Ohio.

Even if it hasn't been dry in your area,bucks will be located near the river water sources. Get in there ASAP to locate where the big boys are using the water to come to,and check out where they seem to be coming from.

For one thing, the land seems to be more fertile and the water speaks for itself. I'd get inbetween a bedding area and the river and way-lay one coming to the water in the evening. Also,my scouting would be taking place now, as to not disturb any summer patterns they're on now,because come opening day bow season,they should be in the general vicinity.

Let us know how your scouting and season goes ... sounds like you have a hot area to hunt!
Old 08-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Spike

I too love river bottoms. I have a couple of hardwood islands in flooded timber that can only be accessed by canoe. I usually paddle in before dawn and wait for the deer to return from their feeding areas. During the rut, they are hot spots all day long.

I called this one in last November to a hill in the swamp. He was walking in water up to his belly. Tony
Old 08-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

Deer hang around rivers , So they can use them as travel corridors . These are really good places to setup on managment areas . Especially along the edge .

Last edited by fishinty; 08-03-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotslinger
I too love river bottoms. I have a couple of hardwood islands in flooded timber that can only be accessed by canoe. I usually paddle in before dawn and wait for the deer to return from their feeding areas. During the rut, they are hot spots all day long.

I called this one in last November to a hill in the swamp. He was walking in water up to his belly. Tony
i'm not sure of the legality of shooting one that's wading where you're from, but in NC we're not allowed to shoot them if the water is over the knee. but back to the post; from my experience they love hanging out just inside the woodline from the river near home.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

In New York, it is illegal
Old 08-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Spike

Just to be clear, I called the buck from the flooded timber up onto an island in the swamp. He was on dry ground when I took the shot. I don't want anyone to think that I was shooting at deer wading in the water. Tony