Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

which would you rather?

Old 07-29-2009, 03:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Fair chase only, which I why I no longer watch most hunting shows.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I would love to see a bunch of guys whack spike horns and basket racked bucks!!! I would actually buy those videos!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't miss not having satellite tv anymore because I got so sick of watching guys hunt high fences. How can anybody take pride in buying a deer. You're no hunter if you have to fork out that much money to kill a deer. I get disgusted just thinking about it.
I too would love to see more videos of the average guy on fair chase hunts. From scouting to hunting. His or her ways of the sport.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:23 AM
Typical Buck

I watch both. But I find myself much more critical of the "high fence hunters". I much prefer the realism of hunts that are 'tough luck' and lot's of disappointment, with the occasional big pay off. Now that is something I can relate too.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

On TV watch an average guy hunt on public land.
On video doesn't matter I don't buy or watch them.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather see a minimally edited fair chase hunt any day. That's why, if I watch them at all, I like the shows where they are hunting out west where they've got 10's of thousands of acres all around them and they're glassing deer or elk across a 1000 yard wide canyon and trying to get there.

I've seen enough of these "We're hunting (on a deer farm) in IOWA!" shows. I'm sorry, but when these "pros" refer to a deer with a rack that's bigger than any I've ever seen on a wild deer as a "cull buck" with "bad genetics", I want to throw my coffee cup at the TV. Of course, I get excited when I shoot a doe, but some of their "not a shooter" bucks would be my buck of a lifetime. That irritates me.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:26 AM
Spike

Real hunting videos are the best. I have some of the first tapes of the Drury brothers. Believe it or not they have a small 6 pointer on the tape that one of the pro staff took. Now that is really cool. The guys from http://www.slungerhollow.com/ also have some great videos. I have spoken with Scott Newman lot's of times and he is really down to earth. On one of the first video’s they got a giant state land buck but couldn't include it on the DVD because the camera man forgot to press record. ug. Real guys.
If you're interested, check out a few real bucks at www.strictlywhitetails.com.