Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows >

A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Little Something. 9 things wrong with hunting shows

Old 07-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Iowabucks44
It seems to happen more and more often. I am watching a hunting show on the Outdoor Channel (for instance), and the hunter shoots an absolute pig. So much so that you think that there is no way that is a free ranging deer. Around the 200" range. So i watch the show long enough to see where they are hunting and check the outfitters website. Almost always i find that this is a high fence operation, or hunting preserve, whatever they want to call it. But they make no mention of it being high fence in the tv show.

Has it always been like this, or has there been alot more of these shows recently?
Why would they need to identify whether the outfitter they're hunting at is high fenced or not? Just wondering...
Old 07-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bowfreak4life
And to think I was the only one who thought this. I have to say that imo the best shows are the primos guys, Mike Wadell and the Bone Collectors, and one of my all time favorites is Dan and Guy Fitzgerald. Dan and Guy both hunt instinctively and it don't matter to them what or how big the animal is they take. My hats off to them.
I like the bone Collector and Jim Shockey (more so Al Shockey) for the entertainment value and Deer and Deer Hunting, Quality Whitetails and Management Advantage for the tech tips on Management. As far as Primos.... You can have that, they fit the hunting stereotype perfectly with their speech and appearance like the Fat one who never shaves yet never grows a beard and misses more deer on film than he ever shoots, he missed a minimum of 4 in one season of filming. You see his fat a$$ sweating from walking 50yds and then is in ads for scent precaution, umm... ok! Primos Silver must be magic spray and a must for anyone who has also purchased X-Ray Glasses.
Not a good representation of the rest of us. I am also getting tired of seeing the guy and hot girl shows with very little content. I have met Lee and Tiffany as well as the Kisky's, these people are awesome and represent us well. They have fallen to commercialization and it is becoming more about products than the hunt itself which is nothing like what most of us have had the ability to experience. It makes me wonder ... At what point does the thrill leave and it becomes strictly a job? I would love to kill a 200" whitetail but then what? Where do you go from there? And another thing... when you have guys like Greg Ritz getting nailed for illegally taking game as Noel Feather had I wonder how many of those other "professionals" know about these things happening. I wonder how Jim Shockey feels after having Ritz on his show and then having this come out. I don't like the label Pro Hunter as a description of those with a tv show. Hunting High Fenced Areas is no more "professional" than it is "hunting". They should be called Pro-motional Hunters b/c all they do is push the products they receive for free whether the crap works or not!
Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some things everyone need to realize when you are complaining about the shows.

1. you say they never get dirty or bloody. Its called editing.
2. you say if you hunted the same places they do you could do just as well and vice versa. How many of us have ever hunted with a camera man in the stand with you. its not as easy as it looks.
3. The camera man always finds the deer first. again its called editing.
4. if your complaining about them you have watched them at one point in time. simple .....dont watch them at all.
you can still enjoy these shows. you just have to keep a clear mind and realize alot of it is commercialization. dont watch it expecting to become a better hunter that kills bigger deer. The years of informational videos have been gone for a long time.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like Tred Barta. He is nuts, but i like him .
Old 07-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mohunter82

2. you say if you hunted the same places they do you could do just as well and vice versa. How many of us have ever hunted with a camera man in the stand with you. its not as easy as it looks.
4. if your complaining about them you have watched them at one point in time. simple .....dont watch them at all.
you can still enjoy these shows. you just have to keep a clear mind and realize alot of it is commercialization. dont watch it expecting to become a better hunter that kills bigger deer. The years of informational videos have been gone for a long time.
How dare you try to confuse people with facts like that. Shame on you.... HAHA!

All very good points. But most people can't get past the fact that these people get paid to hunt and they do not.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Spike

My biggest and probably only complaint is the lack of instruction. It would be great if they gave background information about where they were hunting, the scouting they had done, why the picked a certain location, how long they had to hunt to find the right animal, the time of year, what equipment they were using and why they liked it etc.

Any more, you just see them walk throught the woods, shoot a trophy and get excited. I want to be able to learn from what they do and apply it to what I do; a hunting show what would make me a better hunter. Teach us how to scout better. Show us how to identify the best funnels and stand sites. Give us the why - not just the what.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Fork Horn

Forgot another one (sorry if it was already stated).

Breaking away to commercial right before the shot. Then coming back from the commercial and replaying 2 minutes that you already have seen.

Out of a 30 minute program, you get 22 minutes without commercials (I do not have a DVR...yet) and then take out all the replaying and other BS...you are lucky to see 10 minutes of real hunting situations.

I too would like to see some of these pros placed on public land or even private land (100 acres), show them a topo map and that's it. Let them hunt one weekend only - while all of the other hunters are out and about - and let's see what strategies they would use that will actually help the average hunter take a good animal.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bring back Saturday morning with the Bowery Boys or Abbott and Costello. Much more entertaining and more realistic to.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mohunter82

1. I'd call it phony. Has nothing to do with real hunting.

2. Pretty easy if the deer your hunting is like a yard pet.

3. see #2

4. Sure I have. And no I don't anymore. They have nothing to do with real hunting. It is similar in nearly every way to professional wrestling. Seen it.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why would they need to identify whether the outfitter they're hunting at is high fenced or not? Just wondering...
Because equates to a Turkey shoot at places like the sanctuary I believe Texas Trophy hunters love to shoot and quite a few other places. It would be nice to know if they are hunting or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.