Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.270WSM round for whitetails

Old 07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

Default .270WSM round for whitetails

Right now I'm looking at 2 different shells. Fed premium Barnes triple shock and Fed premium nosler accubond. Any others I should be looking at?

I want a 140gr shell, I guess could be a 130gr shell too and a bullet type that is going to retain energy. Nothing that fragments!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Both are way overkill for whitetails, but if really want to use premium bullets, buy a box of both and see which shoots better in your gun then stick with that one...
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Both are way overkill for whitetails, but if really want to use premium bullets, buy a box of both and see which shoots better in your gun then stick with that one...

Why overkill for whitetails?

And yes, I know to shoot ammo to see what's going to shoot better. lol
Old 07-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

No reason for a premium bonded type bullet for deer. Good ol Nosler ballistic tip would be great and much cheaper...a deer won't know if it was hit by a TSX, Accubond, BT, berger, gameking, interbond, etc...but like I said, just use the one that shoots best in your gun...
Old 07-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Typical Buck

That makes sense then....You didn't read what I posted. I don't want a bullet that fragments. Ballistic tips are out. I've shot deer with them and I'm not impressed with the results and the lack of blood trails from them.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

130 gr .270. Good ol' corelok It is one of the more all around calibers, and I have found that the Winchester 130 gr. shoot the best in my rifle, being a NEA Handi rifle, single shot.

Last edited by crokit; 07-10-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have not had to trail any of the whitetail I shot with my 270WSM with the 130 gr BT. Dead right there performance. Wow, I just looked at the available loads on Midways website and there sure are quite a few available now. When I bought my gun there were like 6 factory loads available now it's 18.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by crokit
130 gr .270. Good ol' corelok It is one of the more all around calibers, and I have found that the Winchester 130 gr. shoot the best in my rifle, being a NEA Handi rifle, single shot.

Exactly what I was thinkin.

Guys, I'm not really looking for what shoots best out of your gun. More so looking for more choices of bullets that retain their weight and don't fragment.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter
That makes sense then....You didn't read what I posted. I don't want a bullet that fragments. Ballistic tips are out. I've shot deer with them and I'm not impressed with the results and the lack of blood trails from them.

When was that? They changed their bullets, now they have varmint and hunting bullets. And your right, I've shot deer with the early version BT's and they were terrible...

Why don't you want them to fragment?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid

Why don't you want them to fragment?

All the info is there. Take a moment and read the thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.