Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

.270WSM round for whitetails

Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Switchback_XT
From that experience I have concluded that the .270 win. (and by extention, its cousin the .270 wsm) are varmit rounds. The top end heaviest you would want for cyote hunting or perhaps just right for antalope or cues deer. have hunted neither of the last 2 so its just my opinion.
So by larger you mean .284 or .30 which is .014" and .03" diameter difference. The .270 is deadly on deer, LOL!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

From that experience I have concluded that the .270 win. (and by extention, its cousin the .270 wsm) are varmit rounds. The top end heaviest you would want for cyote hunting or perhaps just right for antalope or cues deer. have hunted neither of the last 2 so its just my opinion.
Switchback XT
Wow, all those thousands of deer that have been killed with .270's sure don't agree with ya...or the many many elk also...
Old 07-12-2009, 01:24 PM
Spike

This is my first post, but a 150 gr nosler partition runnin about 3100 fps(according to federal ammo website http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...le.aspx?id=247) ought to leave 2 holes for the what is left of internal organs leak out. Guys at camp shoot the partition out of 7mm-08, 270win, and 284win and love them.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:41 PM
Typical Buck

.270wsm or a .270 win are FAAAARRRRRR from varmint rounds! LOL!! I'll let it be with that.

As far as the cost of shooting a WSM over a WIN round, I have no plans on putting thousands of rounds through paper for fun. I bought the wrong rifle if that's what I wanted to do.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Site Buck Guru

Tell that to the 1100 lb moose I killed with my .270 wsm.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

From that experience I have concluded that the .270 win. (and by extention, its cousin the .270 wsm) are varmit rounds. The top end heaviest you would want for cyote hunting or perhaps just right for antalope or cues deer.
Switchback XT

Now that's funny. I bought a .270 WSM in 2002 and have killed many deer with it, with ballistic tips albeit. The .270 and the .270 WSM are far from just varmit rounds. It's the most popular deer hunting caliber for a reason.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:37 PM
Fork Horn

I had a .270 Win. sighted in to shoot 130 grain balistic tips. My deer allways ran off. Now when I went to 30-06 & then on to .300 wsm they droped on the spot, or atleast did not leave my sight.
My .270 consistently did all its damage in between the ribs out to maybe the first lungs entrance side. The rest was just a puncture hole. almost any center fire can poke a hole through a deer when you don't count in the range. Even a .223 will do that. And any round will do if you do not look at WHERE the expantion happens.
I consider a round to be good enough for deer when the bullets will expand in the MIDDLE of the chest cavity not the entrance wound side that is where you really make the kill.

P.S. What I said about the differences between the WIN. WSM & wssm are correct, there is no reason to upgrade to one of them unless you are a re loader, then it makes sense to go to the WSSM's

Last edited by Switchback_XT; 07-13-2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added P.S.
Old 07-13-2009, 10:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not going to get in to the BT debate more then to say my experience doesn't mirror yours with this bullet on canadian whitetail or mule deer.

Like mentioned if you don't want any shedding of core or much weight then your option is the Barnes TSX in the federal premium line. Even the TBBC tipped will shed some as it is not 100% copper like the TSX, however its core is supposedly not lead. It is bonded to the jacket (much like a AB, Interbond, etc). Personally i think you'll have no problems achieving full penetration with these bonded bullets either. Personal experience with the AB for example has been very much like a nosler partition on deer, elk and moose. Weight retention is 60% ish and pentration has only been haulted by big media or bone on the larger critters like moose. The wound channels & blood trails have been excellent on all game. I have yet to recover one flung through a deer - all pass thru's in my 7mm rem mag and 338wm.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:34 AM
Typical Buck

I had a .270 Win. sighted in to shoot 130 grain balistic tips. My deer allways ran off. Now when I went to 30-06 & then on to .300 wsm they droped on the spot, or atleast did not leave my sight.
My .270 consistently did all its damage in between the ribs out to maybe the first lungs entrance side. The rest was just a puncture hole. almost any center fire can poke a hole through a deer when you don't count in the range. Even a .223 will do that. And any round will do if you do not look at WHERE the expantion happens.
I consider a round to be good enough for deer when the bullets will expand in the MIDDLE of the chest cavity not the entrance wound side that is where you really make the kill.
You just answered it all to yourself! A 130gr ballistic tip out of a .270 probably isn't the best bullet option for a whitetail. I don't know why you've been knocking the .270 caliber when you didn't even try other bullet options.

As a side discussion....

What is all the fascination with ballistic tips? I just don't get it. This is for medium game animals...deer, mulies, etc.. Why would you want a bullet that enters the animal and basically explodes? Sure...it rips it up when you make a good shot, but for a trackable kill do you really think it's the best option going? Meat loss?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Xtec Shooter
You just answered it all to yourself! A 130gr ballistic tip out of a .270 probably isn't the best bullet option for a whitetail. I don't know why you've been knocking the .270 caliber when you didn't even try other bullet options.

As a side discussion....

What is all the fascination with ballistic tips? I just don't get it. This is for medium game animals...deer, mulies, etc.. Why would you want a bullet that enters the animal and basically explodes? Sure...it rips it up when you make a good shot, but for a trackable kill do you really think it's the best option going? Meat loss?
Like i said earlier, the first version BT's would come apart quick for varmint type hunting, the newer ones are made for deer type hunting and work just fine for it also...just think how many deer have been killed before the bonded/premium bullets came out...what are they $3 a shot or so? Not very practical when you do a lot of shooting...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.