Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent controll pre season

Old 07-05-2009, 03:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default Scent controll pre season

Well with July here for me that means it is time to start getting ready for deer season and all the other critters we can hunt. Starting this week I fall into my pre season plan for scent controll. I will go through my clothing and seperate my scent loc items from the rest of my clothes. The scent loc stuff will be washed in carbon clean and hung to dry. The other clothes will be washed in arm and hammer baking soda and also hung outside to dry. Once the clothing goes into the wash mashince it will only be touched by gloved hands from that point on. In the event I can not hang the clothes outside I will hang them in my building that I have just for hunting. There are no gas cans or any chemicals in it. The reason I was my clothes in baking soda is one it saves money put most of all cause I was using it before a lot of the stuff came out on the market. Now on Scent loc items don't use it or it will stop up the pours of the suite.
Once dry my clothing is placed in space saver bags they do the same as most storage bags and again they save you money and can be used over and over. I clean them out each year spraying them down with scent away spray. The bags are easy to use just place clothes in them close the bag half way and force the air out. close the bag the rest of the way and start at the top and roll the bag up. The remaining air will come out of the value at the bottom of the bag. The bag is then placed in a rubber maid container that hold all my clothing till I need it. Once other nice thing about these space saver bags is that they come in differnt sizes. I use the jumbo to store stuff the the middle size to put clothes in for going hunting. While the clothes are washing I will clean out my rubber maid container that goes in the back of my truck. I take and spray it down with water and baking soda mixed togather and then after it drys I spray the box out with the water holes and let dry. After it is dry I start placeing items in it that I will need for the season. I wash my backpac in baking soda and wash all my rubber boots with baking soda and a brush. Once the pac drys I put it in my equipment box and will put stuff in it as it is washed, hats, gloves and mask are put in a small space bag then into the pac. My boots once clean go into trash bags and placed into a wooden box till the season opens then they will stay in bags in the back of my enclosed truck. It will take about a week to do this due to work, class and family affairs that is one reason I start now. After I get done washing my cloths I go to part 2 of my pre season plan which I will post later. Good Hunting.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Scent controll pre season

Well its nice to know Im not he only one crazy on scent control. Well done !
Old 07-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow! That's pretty out there. Personally I think you're taking it a little too far. But to each their own. By the way, that Scent-Lok stuff is only good for a few washings. It says right on the tag that you're only suppose to wash it 2-3 times per season. I hope you don't sweat a lot while hunting or you could definitely get stinky only washing your stuff 2-3 times in several months. Besides that, military grade activated carbon suits are only rated for 30 days of continuous use. Scent-Lok clothing only has about 1/10 the activated carbon that MOPP suits have... So realistically, the life of a Scent-Lok suit is much, much less. But as long as you think it works and you can justify spending the outrageous amounts of money on it, that's all that matters.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

SWThomas, I couldn't've said it better myself. I cant imagine spending that kind of money on hunting equipment. but, I suppose we should look at it in a positive way in that at least RJ is spending the money on hunting equipment and bringing money into our industry and we should be especially greatful that he (or she i suppose) IS HUNTING!!! I really dont care how much people spend. if they want to, thats their choice and good for them. All I can say is I am happy He/she is hunting and Im glad to share my hunting heritage with anyone who wants so spend time in the outdoors.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: outdoorsman4life_103

SWThomas, I couldn't've said it better myself. I cant imagine spending that kind of money on hunting equipment. but, I suppose we should look at it in a positive way in that at least RJ is spending the money on hunting equipment and bringing money into our industry and we should be especially greatful that he (or she i suppose) IS HUNTING!!! I really dont care how much people spend. if they want to, thats their choice and good for them. All I can say is I am happy He/she is hunting and Im glad to share my hunting heritage with anyone who wants so spend time in the outdoors.
Amen to that! Not to mention it keeps The Outdoor Channel going with sponsor money.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:50 PM
Dominant Buck

Unless yourstorage spaceis a hermetically sealed room equipped withUVC lights and ozone generators(pretty much an operating room)all you've done is waste an awful lot of time and money, especially doing it this far in advance. Your Scent Lok was contaminated at the store before you even bought it, and stayed that way regardless of what you've done to it, stop wasting your money on that overhyped crap. The baking soda is doing more for you than anything else you listed, and at least it was cheap, stop using it so far ahead of the season.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto to Kevin.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Typical Buck

Well we each have our ways of doing things. Since going to scent loc I have greater numbers of deer within 30 yards or less of me. Each year I have had deer under my stand. Plus when you can get scent loc free or at cost why not.[8D]
Old 07-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RJPOUTDOORS

Well we each have our ways of doing things. Since going to scent loc I have greater numbers of deer within 30 yards or less of me. Each year I have had deer under my stand. Plus when you can get scent loc free or at cost why not.[8D]
So you really think it's the Scent-Lok that gets them close and not the other 20 things you're doing???
Old 07-11-2009, 12:59 AM
Fork Horn

I just don't understand some of you guys. Oh, you don't "believe" in scent-lok? GREAT...that's fine. But too many of you have a switch in your head that immediately flips to cruise control the second you see the words scent-lok or scent blocker. Your brains shut down and you spew out your little tirade and talk down to those of us that are mentally challenged enough to buy and use it. You don't use it...I couldn't care less. So why does another persons usage of the product aggravate you so much? The OP makes what I found to be an interesting post, and he just gets torched. I'm just sooo tired of it. Instead of bashing the guy and de-railing the thread, click on the back arrow and move on.

I'd love to hermetically seal your @#$%ing mouths shut.

Quick Reply: Scent controll pre season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.