Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Scent controll pre season

Old 07-11-2009, 03:54 AM
Spike

RP, I appauld you and your efforts. I've used SentLoc for years and goto just about the same extream. I do anything I can to keep my sent down. I have often wondered how I got away with any kills with the lack of sent control in the begining, oh yea I didn't kill that many deer back then "DUH". Hunting has only gotten better over the years as my skills improved as well as my sent control. Thanks for the post.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

It doesn't matter how much scent control you perform, if the wind is wrong you're gonna get busted.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:42 AM
Fork Horn

Scent Lock is a crock fellas, Carbon has nothing to do with scent absorption at all. I use reg. old style army BDU's as hunting clothing. That "HD SUPER DUPER DETAILED" Camo just looks like a blob at 100 yards. Don't believe me? hang a YOUR set out on a tree limb at your woods then step back to 50 yards (measured not guessed) distance and see for your self!
Scent control is Dead Down wind. The only reason I am with them is because they came out with the whole package first and I bought that whole kit an kabootle. I still have some so I am still with them, when it is out I don't know. My brother has had same success with his brand, I might have to compare prices ehehehhehee

P.S. Why did any one ever think Carbon rubbed all over you was gona make you invisable to smell any way?
Old 07-14-2009, 05:37 AM

Well i wash my close in no scent soap, and then put them in my plastic tote with a fresh earth scent wafer. This is really all I do. I sometmes put some leafs and dirt in the tote to. But that's really it.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

My pre-season scent elimination process goes something like this. I work my butt off accessing as much ground as possible. Scouting, hanging stands, trimming lanes, and getting out for a couple months before I plan on hunting them.

My process can work anywhere, it just take alot of work. When you only have to consider hunting a particular stand once or maybe twice in an entire season, you can plan for PERFECT wind conditions (or as close as realism will get you), and have so many different set's on so many different areas that you will NEVER over-hunt the same stand, which is when repeat scent is such a killer to a spot.

Because a whitetail will smell you regardless, I can garentee you that if more guys put their time and money into property and stand set-up's - they would kill bigger deer every year! Just my opinion of-course!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

That sounds like alot of work for scent control. My scent control consists of wearing rubber boots while bowhunting; that's it. I hunt out of 18+ feet treestands too, so I don't really hunt the wind either.