Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer eating crops... okay to shoot??? >

Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Old 07-04-2009, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

We leased a land to grow crops for food and for $$$$... Problem is, there are some deers that keep eating the crops.. Land owner said it's okay to shoot, but i'm not sure..

Should I call the local DNR first to make sure? If we can't shoot the deers, OMG..... $$$$$$$$ thounsands of dollar will be gone... freaking...**** pissing me off

scaring them away will only last a few hrs only we go home...
Old 07-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

No state I know of allows it without issuing permits.
Check your state regulations.
And (FYI) it is deer - not deers.

Steve
Old 07-04-2009, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

thanks.. deer. hehe
Old 07-05-2009, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

you should be able to acquire a "nuisance permit" from your local DNR which allow you to harvest the deer in your crops year around.
Old 07-05-2009, 06:38 AM
Spike

Here in NC. The farmers are allowed to shoot the deer as long as they are in the act of depredation (eating the crops or damaging them) but he/she mustleave the deer laying or pull it out of the field.The permit only allows the farmer to possess them (use the deer meat or to have someone else come and shoot the deer). But, it is always better to contact the local officer and let him know about the problem.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

just contact local DNR or agent and they will give you premit and all will be good. better to be legal.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's part of farming, leave them alone and take care of the does during hunting season...
Old 07-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

I agree with hawkeye. Sounds like you will have some good hunting come fall!! do some serious huntin in fall and shoot alot of does. unless you are doing farming on a VERY small tract of land, you arent loosing 1000's of dollars and you arent loosing everything. we have a 10 acre corn field with a high deer density and you can barely notice they touched it.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: soulless

We leased a land to grow crops for food and for $$$$... Problem is, there are some deers that keep eating the crops.. Land owner said it's okay to shoot, but i'm not sure..

Should I call the local DNR first to make sure? If we can't shoot the deers, OMG..... $$$$$$$$ thounsands of dollar will be gone... freaking...**** pissing me off

[&:]hmmm As far as I knew Farmers had the right to shoot any thing that was harming their crops or animals. How you go about being legal while doing it I don't know. I thought they could just go on a shooting spree or some thing. I agree with you on them eating more than their far share of corn, even the little bit the Conservation buys for them deer does little to cover the damage. I have allways wondered if that deer food plot stuff would draw them off the corn?[>:]
Old 07-07-2009, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Switchback_XT

ORIGINAL: soulless

[&:]hmmm As far as I knew Farmers had the right to shoot any thing that was harming their crops or animals. How you go about being legal while doing it I don't know. I thought they could just go on a shooting spree or some thing. I agree with you on them eating more than their far share of corn, even the little bit the Conservation buys for them deer does little to cover the damage. I have allways wondered if that deer food plot stuff would draw them off the corn?[>:]
How you go about being legal is to check your state laws and make sure you comply with them. I would bet that most states allow farmers to shoot deer that are harming their crops, but, they require that you notify the appropriate authorities and obtain a permit to do so.

Quick Reply: Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.