Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Deer eating crops... okay to shoot??? >

Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Old 07-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

ORIGINAL: outdoorsman4life_103

I agree with hawkeye. Sounds like you will have some good hunting come fall!! do some serious huntin in fall and shoot alot of does. unless you are doing farming on a VERY small tract of land, you arent loosing 1000's of dollars and you arent loosing everything. we have a 10 acre corn field with a high deer density and you can barely notice they touched it.
I have to disagree. my family owns hundreds of acres in northwest missouri. and when they project their harvest they subtract the first ten rows around the entire perimeter due to deer. its sad but i have seen some farmers that ride around with rifles in their combines and just open the door and shoot.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:25 AM

part of farming? shoot the does during season? My boss personally shoots over 60 deer a year in MD and still has huge crop damage problems on pumpkins and corn. If it werent for crop damage permits there would be no crop to harvest.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Use a deer repellent, instead of shooting.
Join my Firearm Deer Contest.
Then hunt them during deer season, then use the score for your team.

http://www.messinawildlife.com/
Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 59f100292

part of farming? shoot the does during season? My boss personally shoots over 60 deer a year in MD and still has huge crop damage problems on pumpkins and corn. If it werent for crop damage permits there would be no crop to harvest.
Harvesting that many deer and still having problems further validates my theory that the crop damage farmers attribute to deer is BS. Personally, I see more damage resulting from coons.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

Use a deer repellent, instead of shooting.
Join my Firearm Deer Contest.
Then hunt them during deer season, then use the score for your team.

http://www.messinawildlife.com/
What Deer Repellent? as for this "don't shoot em evah unless its season" thing U hunters only take 1 or 2 from my land a year. Total taken maybe 5 not even close to 10, the herd is in the 1k mark for my place alone. U hunters hear of this shooting all year round thinking this is killin off your opportunities but no body seems to remember the farmers only make money when our crops are IN the sale barn.
When we invite you out to go hunting its to git them dam deer's off my corn. not to manage the land for more deer.[>:]
Now dangit when I say I need deer taken off the property and u say u will hunt em off of there. I expect u to hunt down the deer herd, not MANAGE IT!!![:@]
Old 07-08-2009, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you really have such a problem (too many deer and can't find enough hunters willing to shoot does) that is quite different than where I live. We have good deer numbers, but not enough farmers are willing to let hunters on. If I lived near you I'd take all the does the law allows.
Old 07-08-2009, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's very disturbing that hunters expect farmers to fund their hobby.

Deer repellant?That's funny.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: DougE

It's very disturbing that hunters expect farmers to fund their hobby.

Deer repellant?That's funny.
Exactly!! My dad has the same problem here in MS. He will get a depredation permit and shoot them in the summer and then take out as many does as possible in the hunting season and he still has problems with the deer eating his crop up in one area. Most of it's because the hunting clubs around there won't shoot does and they get mad at him because that's all he shoots there.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have several close friends that are dairy farmers.For the past 6 months,their milk checks aren't even covering their feed bills.Sorry,but people expectthere to be way more deer than there has to be.Unfortunately in the case of Pa,the habitat has taken a huge nosedive as a result.There's absolutely no reason forhunters to expect struggling farmers to pay for someone else's need for excessive deer populations.

In Pa,a Farmer that generates the majority of his income from crops doesn't need any type of depredation permit.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

If you stil have that many problems wit deer, lease it out during the hunting season at $300-500a pop. let em shoot as many does as they are allowed (legally) and hten you make some cash in the process.

Quick Reply: Deer eating crops... okay to shoot???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.