Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods >

Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

Deer like food they need and bedding they can be secure in.....get one!
Old 06-24-2009, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

i got a 34 acre woods thick too an it only holds does i got a heard of about 30 on it counting babies i shoot 4 every year i havnt taken a buck in 4 yrs now bc after there first rack they leave what can i do i feed corn all yr round an think of a food plot to place on it bout half acre so help if can

Im sorry, this post was driving me crazy. I don't mean any offense to anyone, just trying to help out with grammar. Im in no ways perfect but trying to read this was driving me crazy.

I have 34 acres of woods which isvery thick. It holds a lot of does and from what I am seeing I believe around 30 deer including fawns. I shoot 4 deera year and haven't taken a buck in four years because after their first year they seem to leave. What do you think I can do? I feed corn all year around and am thinking of a food plot on our land around a half acre. Anybody have any ideas?

Old 06-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you
Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Find more hunting ground. 34 acres is not enough ground to successfully hunt year round
Old 06-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: teedub31

Find more hunting ground. 34 acres is not enough ground to successfully hunt year round
with this i have to disagree. my best area i hunt is my home place and it is barely 23 acres. here is my proof that with proper management and scouting and planningyou can be successful on good deer. you cant just walk out and expect them to come to you. I scout year round.Now im not saying im killing 160" deer every year but these are still great bucks to alot of people.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

ORIGINAL: teedub31

with this i have to disagree. my best area i hunt is my home place and it is barely 23 acres. here is my proof that with proper management and scouting and planningyou can be successful on good deer. you cant just walk out and expect them to come to you. I scout year round.Now im not saying im killing 160" deer every year but these are still great bucks to alot of people.

How can you scout 23acreas year round? ands there is now way you can manage your deer on just 23 acreas unless you have the same from neighboring land owners.Now that does'nt mean you can't have good hunting on 23 acreas,it all depends on where that 23 acreas is located.If it is bording,or next to bigger woods it is just an extension of those woods,but if it is located in the middle of a 100 acre pasture then the hunting would not probably be any good.a lot will depend on the layout of the land and what is surrounding it.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds to me that location is a huge huge issue..
If bucks aren't returning after the first year, they are moving else where for anyone reason..
Food and water probably being some reasons..
Bucks need a totally different nutritional feed than do does and fawns..
Elevation and climate and temperatures and the terrain itself all affect where big bucks go in the summer and how long they spend there..
If these does and fawns are there during the rut the bucks are either nocturnal, or the terrain and conditions aren't favorable for bucks to return and stay..
This holds true and true, "big, big dominate bucks don't roam", unless hunting pressure or serious weather storms force them too.They stay put, and let the does come to them.
Sure bucks do rut, they travel, and follow the does,.. but not all.. "not the dominate ones."
The does do know where they are..which is why sometimes one will see a whole herd of does and not a single buck..he is close (well pretty) withing a a 1000 yrd radius but very very well hidden and escape routes every where.
Usally the big ones that are shot are the ones that are Sneeking away spooked by another hunter or some other type of pray.
I wouldn't spend a dime cultivating anything in that acrage it probably won't work.
It will take years and thousands of dollars and lots of time to see any type of small small return.
Yop can keep shooting the does, but 4 or 5 does aren't going to make a dent in reducing the pop you've got on the land..
In fact you probably are making it more welcoming for more does and young fawns to come to..
You yourself have to up route and move to a better location.
One that has a high high buck to doe ratio.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treboryerf

How can you scout 23acreas year round? ands there is now way you can manage your deer on just 23 acreas unless you have the same from neighboring land owners.Now that does'nt mean you can't have good hunting on 23 acreas,it all depends on where that 23 acreas is located.If it is bording,or next to bigger woods it is just an extension of those woods,but if it is located in the middle of a 100 acre pasture then the hunting would not probably be any good.a lot will depend on the layout of the land and what is surrounding it.
Its really easy to scout 23 acres. i spend alot of time checking the property lines finding where they are entering or exiting. then ifind the bedding areas. study topo maps ofall the surrounding land. i also pay attention to what crops they pu in 2 farms over so i know the harvest times. then start checking all this again when feeding patterns start to change.i have basically created a safe haven for them. all hardwoods with some extra dense cover toward the centers.and mine is not only an extension of other woods but has over 200 acres of cattle pasture on 2 oppositesides.management isnt as hard now either with missouri installin AR.

Its does take some work but you can do it. there was an article about this in the last deer and deerhunting mag tellin about tony lapratt. he has killed 31 PY in the last 22 years all on 50 acres. its an interesting read.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mohunter82

management isnt as hard now either with missouri installin AR.
What does this mean?
Old 06-28-2009, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

34 acres is plenty to hunt, however not enough to manage the herd. That doesn't mean you can't help, If you bowhunt take some does the first week of the season then rest the property until the rut. You say your feeding corn year round you may be over pressuring the spot. I hunt much smaller parcels and have found plots containing a number of different plants to offer deer a preferred foodsource throughout the year work really well. Conrary to what others have said there's nothing you can do about young bucks leaving. That is a genetic trait to prevent inbreeding. After thier first yearbucks are "kicked out" to find thier own home range.

Quick Reply: Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.