HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/296512-too-many-does-how-hold-buck-34-acer-woods.html)

bigmike924 06-23-2009 11:07 AM

Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

i got a 34 acre woods thick too an it only holds does i got a heard of about 30 on it counting babies i shoot 4 every year i havnt taken a buck in 4 yrs now bc after there first rack they leave what can i do i feed corn all yr round an think of a food plot to place on it bout half acre so help if can

Bocajnala 06-23-2009 11:13 AM

RE: Too many does an how to hold buck on 34 acer woods

you got a size problem..... in deer hunting bigger is def. better. at least as far as land goes.....
Come fall it will be impossible to hold bucks on 34 acres. they are running every where looking for does. YOu say you have a lot of does, if you set up where the does are, you should be seeing bucks during the rut. Set up where they are feeding, travel routes. anywhere you know deer will be. Than be patient and wait on a buck to show up. If you shoot the first doe you see everytime, bucks will never come by. LEt the does feed around you and wait for the bucks to show up.... If you wanna use some scents or something that may help bring them in too. Do you bow hunt? Gun hunt? What state are you in?
Hope this helps a lil.
-Jake

DougE 06-23-2009 11:14 AM

Now that's funny.Thirty deer on 34 acres.That'saround 600 deer per square mile.I think you need to kill a little more than 4 a year.

Bocajnala 06-23-2009 11:18 AM

lol...I'm assuming those 30 deer don't actually stay on those 30 acres all the time....hence his problem. We still need to know what state you're in though. Some areas just might not produce big bucks if all the people in the area are blasting all the little ones.
-Jake

bigmike924 06-23-2009 11:46 AM

i live in Ohio Allen county an No there r bucks but only little ones i pass on them the biggest i seen here is a 125 ish nine pt an i let him walk. an havent seen him since. should i place a small half acer plot or not an of whati got lots of fields around an thing can help thxs

timbercruiser 06-23-2009 12:02 PM

If you have does I would bet you have bucks also. Put out a couple of cameras over corn a little later on and I would bet you will see some bucks. What kind of land is contiguous to the 34 acres you have?

crokit 06-23-2009 01:07 PM

Short of a 10' high fence, you can't.

PutnamHonigford 06-23-2009 01:42 PM

JEEZ Allen county? 30 deer on that small of land are u seriouse? ive never herd of that...im from Putnam County

treboryerf 06-23-2009 03:06 PM

Surely all 30 deer don't reside solely on your 34 acres,there must be neighboring land these deer are also utilizing.With that said a food plot won't hurt,also you must define what is a trophy deer for the area you are hunting,you mentioned a 125ish inch buck that you passed,are there many deer in your area that are killed each year that exceed that or are your expectations unrealistic for your hunting area,you can't manage for trophy deer on 34 acreas unless all of your neighbors are doing it also,I mean what will happen if your neighbor sees that same 125" deer",is he going to pass on him also? You still need to thin the does out though and I would kill as many of them as the law allows before the rut in your area,that just might make it a little harder for that buck to find a willing doe and then you can concentrate on hunting where the does are and you will see some bucks,but the main thing is I don't think you have much hope in growing big bucks with your current hunting situation.

kevin1 06-24-2009 03:10 AM

Ohio has a fairly high bag limit for antlerless, shoot your limit of does if you can, then have some buddies take out theirs as well. Less does means the bucks will have to travel more to score. Assessing your situation would be easier if you could post an aerial view of both your land and the surrounding properties.