Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeder Advice Needed

Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Feeder Advice Needed

I am thinking about buying a couple mechanical tripod feeders for our property in OH. but have never used them before.

The 1st. reason is that we are doing a trail cam survey in July and if I just dump corn on the ground the million turkeys we have will just eat it all up in a couple of days and mechanical feeders will provide bait thru out the survey.

And the 2nd reason is we currently have a couple guys that use them for hunting with out much success as far as mature bucks goes but one guy had this huge buck use his feeder every day for 3 weeks during shooting hours in Oct. until the feeder was empty.
Unfortunatly for the guy he didn't hunt at all until the last couple days of Oct. but by that time the buck had moved on since the feeder was no longer providing him with an easy meal every day.

My concern is that my spots are already good with out baiting (other than mineral blocks) and im worried that noisy unnatural mechanical feeders might hurt my spots more than help them as far mature bucks frequenting my area's. I don't care if the feeders don't draw in a huge buck like in the pics (though it would be nice) because im sure that buck is the exception to the rule but I just don't want the feeders to hurt my chances of getting pics of MATURE bucks and seeing them in my area's during the season. Thanks for any advice, Pike

Old 05-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feeder Advice Needed

Old 05-22-2009, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

Having used feeders for 30 yrs in Texas I can tell you the noise will not bother any animal. As far as Deer, Turkey and hog go, it's a good attractant when the feeder goes off. Being about half deaf, when I see the birds at the feeder flush, I know a larger animal is coming in to feed. You also can judge an animal and be more selective on your harvest. You can also take some good pictures. If you have Hogs be sure to use T posts to stake your feeder down or the Hogs will turn it over and distroy it.
Grant

Old 05-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dang, fill that feeder back up!!!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2009, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

the rack on the buck in the first picture looks backwards, looks like you can see the skull plate
Old 05-23-2009, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

crokit your an idiot!! its the same buck in all 3 pics and not photo shopped.
Here is another pic of it. Every time someone makes a post about using a feeder, bait, mineral block etc you got to make some stupid comment.

White Falcon thanks for your advice. Pike
Old 05-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

My My filthy, testy lil' lady, aren't ya! Just saying the first pic looks like skull plate is showing. Doesn't mean it is, filthy, but looks like it, to me.

Just not used to looking at deer on bait piles and feeders.One thing I am curious about: What is the purpose of the camo attempt with the feeder? Obviously the deer see it. Human eyes??
Old 05-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

You sure are a brave man calling someone a lady from the safety of your PC.[:'(] And for the record I have never used a feeder or bait pile, thats why
im asking for advice! I have yet to see you post anything that makes the words "" DEER""" or """" HUNTER""" come to mind about you, only smart comments about pics other members have posted etc. and using minerals, baiting etc., Why dont you post some of your pics and share with everyone here instead? And why do your panties always get in a bunch when others hunt using different methods than you? And more important, who lied to you and made you believe that any body actually cares about your opinion?
I mean we are talking deer and hunting, not subjects like whether or not you and your life parnter should be able to enter into a gay marriage etc.
As far as the feeder being painted camo, I have no idea??? Its not mine, I dont own one, yet. Pike
P.S. crockit you have great weekend and please keep in mind that its
Adam & Eve not Adam & Steve.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

feel free to PM or for everyone to hear, makes no diff. to me, for a friendly meet and greet rather " than the safety of the pc." I get down to Pa- Spring crk, Bellfonte, and Erie once a week. Bring a lunch.It'll be fun.

Sorry to disappoint you J Piker, but I don't need the hunting world to verify whether I am a hunter or not. Been doing fine on my own thank you, but I appreciate your concerns. No, really, I'm serious, I do!
Old 05-23-2009, 12:13 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: crokit
Just not used to looking at deer on bait piles and feeders.One thing I am curious about: What is the purpose of the camo attempt with the feeder? Obviously the deer see it. Human eyes??
What feeder?

Quick Reply: Feeder Advice Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.