HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Feeder Advice Needed
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2009, 04:34 PM
J Pike
Nontypical Buck

Default Feeder Advice Needed

I am thinking about buying a couple mechanical tripod feeders for our property in OH. but have never used them before.

The 1st. reason is that we are doing a trail cam survey in July and if I just dump corn on the ground the million turkeys we have will just eat it all up in a couple of days and mechanical feeders will provide bait thru out the survey.

And the 2nd reason is we currently have a couple guys that use them for hunting with out much success as far as mature bucks goes but one guy had this huge buck use his feeder every day for 3 weeks during shooting hours in Oct. until the feeder was empty.
Unfortunatly for the guy he didn't hunt at all until the last couple days of Oct. but by that time the buck had moved on since the feeder was no longer providing him with an easy meal every day.

My concern is that my spots are already good with out baiting (other than mineral blocks) and im worried that noisy unnatural mechanical feeders might hurt my spots more than help them as far mature bucks frequenting my area's. I don't care if the feeders don't draw in a huge buck like in the pics (though it would be nice) because im sure that buck is the exception to the rule but I just don't want the feeders to hurt my chances of getting pics of MATURE bucks and seeing them in my area's during the season. Thanks for any advice, Pike