Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 what is unethical deer hunting? >

what is unethical deer hunting?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

what is unethical deer hunting?

Old 04-30-2003, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what is unethical deer hunting?

This topic came up from another thread and I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone thought. Some people will say baiting is non ethical, some would say deer hunting with dogs, what is your opinion?
Old 04-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is ethical deer hunting?

My first thought was that any type of hunting that is legal is what I would consider ethical, even though there are types of hunting that I don' t think are " sporting" and I wouldn' t do personally. But then I thought about " high-fence" hunting. There is a certain size that I would say makes for a fair hunt, but I guess it does make a huge difference on what type of terrain and such. But in general, I think these " hunts" are unethical. Anytime I see an advertisment that says guarenteed 6x6 bull elk I want to puke
Old 04-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what is ethical deer hunting?

I guess ethics vary from person to person. I consider, where legal, baiting to be accebtable although ive never done it.But some people throw a fit about it. I do agree that " pen hunting" is unethical but some people seem to have no problem with doing it. It would take me a long time to list all the things i think are ethical and unethical and not everyone would agree with me. If its legal and you have no problem with it, do it.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: what is unethical deer hunting?

The definition of ethical is: Conforming to accepted and especially professional standards of conduct.

So reading the definition of ethical I would conclude that if it is legal then it is ethical because it is an accepted standard of conduct. However since I do not choose to accept it then I guess I would consider it unethical from a personal standpoint.

I have hunted with dogs and over bait when I was younger because I had to hunt the way the person that was taking me did. I certainly do not feel that it is sporting as you say. Really, how hard is it to sit over a bait pile and wait for the animal to come out? Not very. I feel the same about " food plots." It' s as close to " canned hunting" as you can get with out the fence. Or how hard is it to surround a plot of land and wait for a group of hounds to run the deer to the standers? Not very. We wasted more time planning the next drive and rounding up dogs then we did hunting the deer. In my own honest opinion I didn' t enjoy hunting much this way and do not consider it actually " hunting" in my book. I would rather hunt public land where I may or may not shoot an animal then just sit and wait for the animal to feed or get chased out to me by dogs.

But I am not going to condem any one for doing so if that is how they want to hunt. As long as it is legal. Every one has a choice in how they want to hunt, I choose not to hunt this way.
Old 05-01-2003, 05:16 AM

If it is legal then that means the majority believe it to be ethical. I personally believe as long as the person uses what they catch(shoot) then they are in the right. What I can' t stand are these pukes that go around shooting animals taking the head and leaving the rest.
Old 05-01-2003, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting elk with a spotlight from a helicopter using a lazer sighted rifle in Yellowstone would be unethical. LOL

Canned hunts are not hunts at all and are not sporting or fair chase. Not sure how you could outlaw them without risking real hunting. It would be like outlawing slaughtering your own cattle, which is exactly what canned hunting is. Also, kind of like outlawing " assualt rifles" which are in fact no different than semiautomatic hunting rifles with a different stock.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:10 AM

I hate to use " legal" and " ethical" in the same sentence. Ethics come from a much deeper personal respect for what’s right and what’s wrong.

It is legal to take 150 yd shots, its legal to purposely gut shoot a deer, shoot an untuned bow with min ke. and 2-1/2 inch expandables, not practice, and not care. etc.

If we ONLY use the law as a guideline we will fall short in character every time.

Use the law as a minimum starting point. All the important decisions come from within.
Old 05-01-2003, 08:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

AMEN RACK!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:50 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Rack-attack,

Well said! You saved me a bunch of typing...again.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great post Rack! But I guess I was going more after styles of hunting with this thread.

Quick Reply: what is unethical deer hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.