HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What are the 5 biggest hunting myths? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/293565-what-5-biggest-hunting-myths.html)

Robert L E 05-06-2009 09:59 PM

RE: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

Myth- Human urine drives away deer. (It is actually an attractant)

Myth- Deer can locate you if you make a brief sound. (In truth, deer have to focus their hearing, brief quick sounds, while heard by deer, do not give your location away. Deer have independently moving ears and they have to "focus" their hearing. This is why deer will often look in the wrong direction at a gun shot or other brief noise.)

Human's hearing, while not as sharp as a deer, is always in focus. A human can hear a little pop and immediately know where it came from.

Bob

trmichels 05-07-2009 12:45 AM

1. Deer and elk see in black and white. Scientific research, instigated by me, and done by Vision Scientist Dr. Jayy Neitz, and Deer hIologist and Researcher Dr. Larry Marchinton, shoed that whitetails see the colors blue and yellow very well, but not red and green.

2. Peak breeding of whitetail deer occurs during the full moon. Scientific resaerc, condudted by the Minnesota DNR, and myself, showed that peak breeding of whitetails generally occurs within about the same 10 day period every year, regardless of the phase of the moon. This study was later backed up by Dr. Karl Miller at the U of GA, who used the breeding dates of over 2500+ deer.

3. Whitetail does use an "estrus call". No such call has ever been recorded by, nontheless mentioned by, whitetail researchers.

4. Cow elk use an "estrus call". After 4 years of research on captive elk, and seeing over 20 cows get bred, I never heard any of them make any sound (that could be associated with breeding) within 20 minutes of getting bred. A bull determines if a cow is in estrus by smelling the area where the cow was laying down, or by smelling the cow itself.

5. Female mallards make a chuckling sound, often referred to as the "feeding chuckle", that is used by ducks to get other ducks to come and feed with them. Research by Dr. Paul Johansgard showed that this call is an "incitement call". The hen is using this call to incite her mate to attack any other drake that is tyring to "cozy up to her".

Steve863 05-07-2009 04:12 AM

One of the biggest myths is that Quality Deer Management was established to benefit a deer population. Nothing but a bunch of BS!! It was created by trophy hunters in hope that it might help grow even bigger bucks for them to shoot, period! Things like planting food plots and killing only mature bucks has absolutely NOTHING to do with the natural balance of things.

Edcyclopedia 05-07-2009 04:27 AM

Moon phase, does it really affect movement - who cares!

wind over 20 mph, I don't like my stand to turn into an amusement ride!

heavy rain, the kind where it rolls down your crack!

I've never had ANY luck with these...
So it's a myth that you can ACTUALLY get a deer when you employ hunting during these activities.

Buck Hunter 1 05-07-2009 04:58 AM

1. if you aim/lead at the tip of a running deers nose you will hit it in the heart,
2. The guys on tv are the best hunters in the world
3. That a heavy caliber is overkill for deer
4. That you don't have to eat a peice of the heart or get marked w/ blood on your forehead on your first kill!! (for my nephew)
5. You can't stalk hunt deer.

Bernie P. 05-07-2009 05:16 AM

1.Big cals/high energy kill quicker than smaller rounds.
2.The importance of wearing camo.
3.Compounds are superior to trad bows.
4.Open sighted lever action rifles are faster for follow up shots than scoped bolt actions.
5.Obama does not want our guns.Should have listed this myth number one :)!!!

Blackelk 05-07-2009 05:24 AM

1. Firepower replaces shot placement
2. Spending thousands of dollars on equipment will make you a better hunter
3. Animals won't be out in bad weather
4. Bugling from a ATV is the fastest way to find a bull elk :D
5. If I look like a bush and smell like a bush the game won't see the bush get up and move.

magicman54494 05-07-2009 05:32 AM

ORIGINAL: uncle matt
3. There are better looking guys than me that hunt deer.
<----- myth busted!:D

SWThomas 05-07-2009 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

1.Big cals/high energy kill quicker than smaller rounds.
2.The importance of wearing camo.
3.Compounds are superior to trad bows.
4.Open sighted lever action rifles are faster for follow up shots than scoped bolt actions.
5.Obama does not want our guns.Should have listed this myth number one :)!!!
Actually.... I think a .50 cal would certainly dispatch an animal quicker than a .22 when placed in the same spot. Camo is very important when hunting turkey. Compound bows technically are superior to traditional bows in that theyshoot faster, quieter, and have precision sights for a more precise shot.

But I'm just applying common sense, so who knows....

spuddog 05-07-2009 10:37 AM

- you have to "bleed" a deer by cutting it's throat when you gut it.
- you have to cut out the tarsal glands or they'll contaminate the meat.

These are two that I kept running into when I first started.

Spud