HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   What are the 5 biggest hunting myths? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/293565-what-5-biggest-hunting-myths.html)

The Outdoorsman 05-07-2009 11:00 AM

RE: What are the 5 biggest hunting myths?

1. Hunting is cruelty to animals. Big myth!!! Its more humane to kill a deer with a a double lung shot than how the cows and pigs are killed for your pork and steaks.
2. Neck shots are the best bet to kill a deer. Double lung shots far out-weigh neck shots in terms of killing the deer.
3. The biggest deer are in Texas. Their racks look big because of their small bodies.
4. Opening weekend of rifle/gun season is your best chance to kill a deer. You have to spend time in the woods throughout the season, not one particular weekend.
5. You have to have the fastest bow on the market to be able to kill a deer. Sharp broadheads are what do all the work.

timbercruiser 05-07-2009 11:18 AM

If a deer is standing still, within 75 or so yards, broadside I will opt for the neck shot over the lung shot. I don't see how the lung shot could "far out-weigh" the neck shot. They don't go anywhere but straight down.

skb2706 05-07-2009 11:26 AM

1. All deer are the same size fromthe tiny little whitetail buck in Texas to the mountian mule deer timber bucks in the Rockies.

2. All deer are hunted the same way no matter where you live

3. Hunting elk here in CO requires a guide and expensive gear to be successful.

4. The myth of the "too much gun" creates too much damage. Learn to shoot and it won't.

5. Everyone who posts on a hunting forum knows exactly what they are talking about.

Father Forkhorn 05-07-2009 01:17 PM

1. Forget the wind and just hunt.

Colorado Luckydog 05-07-2009 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: skb2706

5. Everyone who posts on a hunting forum knows exactly what they are talking about.
LMAO!!!!:DThat's the best one yet!

TRACKER 05-07-2009 08:19 PM

Myth . Ever here the one abought putting salt on a dear,s tail to keep him coming back ???

skeeter 7MM 05-07-2009 11:22 PM

Gun related:

In reference to chosing your bullet or caliber - known as bush beaters. A heavier bullet or caliber will not deflect when striking a twig or branch. IE:making a 200gr .308 bullet a better choice then a 140.277 for the woods hunter.

Thelighter bullet is always best when shooting long range.

A semi-auto.lever or pump are better then a bolt action due to faster follow up shots.

Speed kills

Bigger is better

The bigger the caliber the larger the hole or damage done.

Everyrifle out of the box is capable of shooting MOA or better.

Failures are caused by bullets, broadheads, arrows, etc...never by the user!

Equipment:

"Forget the wind just hunt!" Scentlok,etc suits

Camo clothing is the most important factor to concealment.

The higher the power scope, bino, spotter the better.

BDC reticles are a must for hunting.

A compass is obselete technology.

You don't need TP in your pack!!!

Game:

Shooting an animal in the CNS (spine, neck or head)will result in a faster or shorter track then vitals.

Head and neck shots waste far less meat then a double lung shot thru ribs.

Scrapes are used by dominant bucks.

scouting ends when the season begins

Weather, moon, etc effect when rut happens.

Game animals don't look up and scent doesn't go down.

If I don't shoot him somebody else will

Leaving an animal who's died with entrails in will not result in spoilage.

Aging venison is a must

Butchering or processing game is too difficult for the average hunter. Processing requires fancy saws &equiment.

A 200 lb deer on the hoofwill provide 150lbs inthe freezer

Doe Dumper 05-07-2009 11:49 PM

LOL I gotta do it just for NCHawk...one of the biggest myths nobody has listed..

A 243 is a good deer cartridge :D

Remfire 05-08-2009 02:42 AM

That spotlighting deer is unethical...er...wrong thread.Sorry.

Bernie P. 05-08-2009 06:34 AM

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

ORIGINAL: Bernie P.

1.Big cals/high energy kill quicker than smaller rounds.
2.The importance of wearing camo.
3.Compounds are superior to trad bows.
4.Open sighted lever action rifles are faster for follow up shots than scoped bolt actions.
5.Obama does not want our guns.Should have listed this myth number one :)!!!
Actually.... I think a .50 cal would certainly dispatch an animal quicker than a .22 when placed in the same spot. Camo is very important when hunting turkey. Compound bows technically are superior to traditional bows in that theyshoot faster, quieter, and have precision sights for a more precise shot.

But I'm just applying common sense, so who knows....
You're right about the 50 but the critter will be just as dead with a smaller round.I know several friends that never wear camo when hunting anything including turkeys and they always fill their turkey tags.To a point compounds are technically more advanced than trad bows but they still only throw the arrow.Faster yes in many cases but I've never come across one that shoots as quiet as my recurve let alone my longbow which is near silent.Accuracy is entirely dependent on the shooter.Howard Hill could at will "Robin Hood" an arrow.In fact he did all the shooting for the orginal RH film.Howard,Ron Leclair,John Shultz,etc shoot dimes thrown in the air.Hill nailed ten in a row once.Try to do that with precision sights some time.HIll,Fred Bear,Ben Pearson all took animals well over 100yds in their time shooting bare bow.Not to shabby for a stick'n string :)!