Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i have a question...

Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default i have a question...

while out planting 552 trees on my land this weekend, we noticed this white object about 75 yards off in the woods.. we thought it was just a white plastic bag, but as i ran closer to it, we realized it was a monster 9 pt. buck skull.. it must've been out there for a few years now because every ounce of meat, tendon, anything, was all gone and the bones were bleach white. all the skeleton was there, except the bottom jaw.. so we can't age it.. Now my problem- the mice chewed the left side so bad at the base, as i picked it up, the left side snaped right off.. what is a good way to reattatch the antler to the skull and what is a good way to "rebuild" the rest of the antler that was chewed off near the end.. while still making it look somwhat natural? I dont want to take it into a taxidermist becuase im just a college kid and i dont have that kind of extra money.. any help/ input would be appreciated..

thank you.

Brandon

p.s.- id love to put pics up on here, but it keeps saying the photo size is to big.. does anyone know how to make it smaller or so i can put it up on here? thank you..
Old 05-03-2009, 10:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: i have a question...

Brandon, that sounds likea neat find. If you get a photobucket account and load your pictures on there, they will automatically be sized small enough to be transferred to here.
Old 05-04-2009, 04:54 AM
Fork Horn

What a taxidermist might do - is drill corresponding holes in the base, and the antler, insert a short steel rod into the pieces - and use some type of glue (that works on very porous surfaces, super glue???) - to glue it back together. My taxidermist did it to an elk rack I have.

God bless,

T.R.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

TR's right, I've seen them do that before too. Also, stop by and ask a taxy for advice, or go to the taxy section on this forum. there may be a type of glue made for a job like that, sounds like a cool find. Get some pics up if you can.
-Jake