Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Got my mount back. How does it look? >

Got my mount back. How does it look?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got my mount back. How does it look?

Old 04-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got my mount back. How does it look?

I got my mount back of the deer I got back in Nov of 08 with a muzzle loader.
How do you guys think it looks? Honestly I'm very happy with it but to be honest I've not been around a ton of mounted deer. I know someone on here a while back posted a deer mount and you guys thought it was horrible quality although I couldn't tell until he posted pictures of how it look compared to when he shot it. What do you guys think about this? Ok quality or bad?

One other question. Is there anything I should do long term to preserve this?

Here are the pictures.
After I shot it.

The Mount

What do you guys think?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Got my mount back. How does it look?

First off NICE BUCK!!! I'm glad you're happy with it, it's a deer to be proud of. I am by far no expert, only having a half-dozen of my own mounted, but my honest opinion is it's a bit funky looking. If you look at the pics in the truck, the tops of the ears, where they leave the skull, are about flush with the bases of the antlers. In the mount, there's a significant gap there. Also the face looks narrow, and I think the eyes are bulging a bit. I am by no means trying to belittle your deer, like I said, it's a hell of a buck, and one to be proud of. And, as long as YOU are happy with it, that's all that matters.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

At first I was going to say the snout looked too dark to me but then looking at the photos right after the kill it has a real unusually dark face so your taxi did a good job of preserving it. Overall, looks pretty good and looks like a damn good deer and quite unique. One to be proud of. Congrats.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

I think it looks great!
Old 04-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah after checking with other pictures as I wasn't sure about the ears either. It appears that they are about right just that they are angled up slightly more than they were. They may not be 100% where they were but they look close just are angled up more instead of straight out. That doesn't bother me too much.

Any more opinions though?

He isn't huge but he isn't tiny either. Not bad imo for a first deer.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:27 AM
Typical Buck

nice buck,poor work on the mount.ear are funky,burrs on antler bases seem covered with hide. nose ,lip area alittle weird. one thing that doesn't help is that upright straight facing mount,to me it give a deer that "deer in the headlights look" i think its the worst choice on any deer. turned forms just look more natural.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

That buck has a cool looking hide with the slight double throat patch and dark face. Congrats he is a fine deer. I was just curious what type and brand form did you choose?
Old 04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats a nice buck and the mount is pretty good but it isnt the greatest. but as long as your happy with it, thats all that matters
Old 04-30-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, I'm no expert and don't nit-pick over others mount. It's one to be proud of.
Congrats!!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: srwshooter

nice buck,poor work on the mount.ear are funky,burrs on antler bases seem covered with hide. nose ,lip area alittle weird. one thing that doesn't help is that upright straight facing mount,to me it give a deer that "deer in the headlights look" i think its the worst choice on any deer. turned forms just look more natural.
I think so too ,now anyway.I picked the straight foward look and when i got my mount back it was turned. The taxi said it did not look good straight.So he changed it.

Quick Reply: Got my mount back. How does it look?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.