Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Television show: Beyond the hunt? >

Television show: Beyond the hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Television show: Beyond the hunt?

Old 04-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Television show: Beyond the hunt?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I tell you guys one thing. You surely are taking a TV show and hunting a bit too seriously in my opinion. There is way more to life than hunting and crying over a killed animal or a missed one. If I ever get to the point of crying while hunting I think I will just hang it up for good. Hunting is supposed to be a fun leisure activity where we should be content whether we kill something or not. If we happen to miss an animal, it really means mighty little in the scheme of things. There will always be another day. I will save my crying for the loss of loved ones and such. I will choose to smile while I hunt whether I get an animal or not.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

Steve:
It's way bigger than what you minimized it to. You are one of the been there done that crowd. That is why I would guess. you are not a TV host. The been there done that way of thinking is not very entertaining. True, there can be great joy in hunting even without crying or jumping up and down or a great big woo hoo or yehaw. I would say that most folks are like you. For the most part I am like that with the deer and antelope these days. That is exactly why I quit shooting deer and antelope. Now I wait till something really trips my trigger. Like a four horn lope or one with several stickers or a very nice mule deer whose antler tips nearly touch at the top. Now when I go after a deer or lope it's one I really want bad. With that comes desire and anticipation and true excitement. I get the shakes again. And yes I even do the woo hoo and yehaw when I get the one I am after. Seeing the desire and passion in hunting on TV is essential in my opinion. That can produce anticipation and excitement in the folks who are just coming into the sport or thinking of coming into the sport.
So Steve, its much bigger than just a ho-hum hunter shooting just another regular buck for the freezer and a rack for the garage rafters. TV folks need to operate on a higher standard and at a higher level than the been there done that guys. It is paramount that TV hunting show stars such at Rick & Julie and Lee & Tiffany put forth a super effort to show hunting, in every discipline, as the most wonderful thing any one can do in the woods. It must be portrayed as fun, enjoyable, safe and desirable.
Times are different now and we must be different if our way of life is to survive. I can easily see your perspective and I respect that. However you must realize that our way of life is under attack from folks who would take it from us if they could. Our normal live and let live way must change. We must be proactive in our defense of our freedoms. Please don't minimize it to something simple. It's not simple any more.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Things may not be simple, but you are giving hunting shows more credibility than they deserve in my opinion. How will getting overly excited or emotional on a hunting TV show help our sport? Do any hunting shows positively change non-hunters minds about hunting? I kind of doubt it. I doubt too many non-hunters would ever even want to watch one. Most people will take up hunting after being exposed to it by a parent, family member or friend. I would think there are very, very few people that decide they want to go hunting just because they saw a show on TV. I understand what you are saying about the TV programs wanting to shoot bigger animals than the average guy out there, but at the same time they only brainwash viewers/hunters to think that the only successful hunts are those where a trophy animal is taken. This is stupid in my opinion since a hunt need not end with a trophy or even any animal taken for it to be an enjoyable day out hunting. You may think these shows provide a service, but in general they are the furthest thing from what hunting is to the majority of hunters out there. I prefer to have more realistic goals in my hunting and don't get much value out of any of these shows.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:18 PM
Fork Horn

Hi Steve and everyone else who is following this thread.
I was going to let this thread die here (as far as I'm concerned) because the chance of changing your mind (Steve) is probably not very good. However its not just you. I can sure see your point but what about the evolution in hunting the last 15 years. Thats all from TV shows and outdoor networks. What about the big blast on to the scene from TC. The Encore is at best a cheap entry level gun. They did such a good job of marketing this gun that everybody had to have one. It's a $200 gun selling for $600 or so. That's all from TV show marketing. Greg and his people at TC did a brilliant job of making their company a household name selling a pipe and block of wood. All because of TV shows. No offense meant to TC. I wish I had done that. The same with Realtree and Mossy Oak and Knight and Hale. Outdoor TV is much more impacting on the hunting public than some would like to admit. It also has an impact on the families and friends of the "Joe Hunter." My kids are learning and building desire from hunting TV shows. At least two of my kids' friends have asked me to take them hunting due to seeing TV hunting in my home. While I believe TV hunting shows are not going to change the world, there is much more impact than you are suggesting. Even the satellite and cable providers are in competition to put out more hunting networks. The hunting industry is many times bigger and has more impact on the world than even golf or tennis. What about Ted Nugent? While I believe he may be a bit over the top at times, I sure admire his passion and him using his celebrity to promote hunting to millions who otherwise would not even give hunting a thought. I truly know young guys who went hunting for the first time just because The Nuge did it.
This sport needs to grow to survive. Right now the best bet we have to help hunting grow is getting it in front of more folks in a positive and unconventional way. The fear of political incorrectness is killing the passion for a lot of less than obsessive hunters. It's time to stand up and shout, "I hunt and I don't have to make excuses for that. Its my right and its my nature."
Steve, I am really not a nut or over the top on this. I just fear that I will not be able to take my grandkids (when they come) hunting the way I did with my dad and grandpa. Pleas understand Steve, it is that important. It is also that important that the TV folks get it right. I know I'm on a soapbox but it is a battle that has to be fought by someone. Until someone more articulate and eloquent comes along or maybe more famous to take the fight from me and carry on, I am going to keep at it the best way I know how.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:50 PM

I watch some of the hunting shows for entertainment only.I' not looking to learn anything.As for the lady crying,I've felt like it several times on misses at really nice bucks.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:44 PM
Typical Buck

Well after reading all these posts, I gotta give Rick and Julie a big thanks for what I feel is a great show. I have been hunting since my Dad started me off as soon as Iwasold enough toget out in the woods with him and have never turned back. I am soon to be 45 and I still have allthe passion and excitement as ever, and I pray that it never goes away. I remember years ago when I was thrilled to find the first really good hunting videos that started coming out. Unfortunately after all these years, I think that alot of the people making the videos have just went down the wrong road with them. I have DirecTv and have all the hunting channels, and honestly there are only a handfull of shows that are in my DVR every week. I guarentee you that Rick and Julies' Beyond the Hunt" is one of them. Honestly, the majority of the shows anymore make me want to puke and throw something through the TV. But there are still some that show the honesty, the excitement and true emotion, not some manufactured hooping and hollering to boost ratings. I love Rick and Julies emotion, love of the outdoor lifestyle and the ethics that they practice. Excellent show, and everything that I have ever read or seen about them has described nothing but super people who love the outdoors and are blessed to be able to do it the way about 98% of us would love to.
Rick and Julie... keep up the great work. As long as you guys are still on the air, you will be in my DVR every week.
Besides, to the guys that feel the need to rip on Julie for crying or showing some emotion, I have a challenge for you. I would like to see you go into their hunting camp when the "Maniac" or the " Natural" are there hunting with Julie and make fun of her!!!