Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Optimum Treestand Height

Old 04-12-2009, 04:46 PM

Default Optimum Treestand Height

What would you guys say is the optimum treestand height when bowhunting? Most of my property is white oaks with quite a few deadfalls throughout the forest floor? Would the height change is hunting over a food plot or field edge?
Old 04-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Optimum Treestand Height

A few variables come to mind, however the main influence for me is to try for the best trajectory and consequently,
a double lung shot when the deer passes through your shooting lane. The higher you are, the better your chances
are of carrying your scent over the deer, but you may risk an undesirable angle through the deer,
ultimately leaving yourself with a difficult find.

Most of my set-ups are between 16-20' high, depending on the terrain, the tree selected and deer trail distance I will be shooting too,
which of course is ideally 15-25 yards.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

As others have stated, and in my opinion, there is no such thing as one specific height off the forest floor being "optimum". The terrain, available trees, under story and other considerations make the optimum height that which allows you the best unobstructed shooting lanes, while providing adequate cover ... and being high enough to mitigate scent issues. Having said all of that, I usually wind up from about 15 to 25 feet off the ground, with most set-ups being somewhere in between. I have hunted as "low" as about 10 feet and every now an then nearly 30 feet up. The low set-up was necessary because I needed to see under the crown of the post oaks where I often hunt in early November. Post Oaks, as those who hunt around this variety of oak know, are rather low growing with lots of twisted limbs. Shooting through the drip line can be tough if one is up too high, having to contend with 10' - 12' of depth of those limbs to get a clear shot at deer feeding under the oaks. The 30' set-up has been in a stand of mature yellow pines that had been managed for saw timber. The under-story was very thick and about 6' - 10' high. I had to get that far up to see clearly down and into the trails passing through that general area. Setting up at 15' simply left too many lanes covered up by the under growth.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:34 AM
Fork Horn

Like they said, all depends on the type of shot you are wanting to have. Most of my stands are 15' - 25'. However, I shot my biggest buck 7' off the ground.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a 9 point from 30 feet up....never saw me, smelled me, or sensed me ther...watched him 25 minutes. I feel to vulnerable below 15 and ususually go 20 to 30....with sticks and my climber. It does have a ton to do with the cover in the tree or your surroundings, but I would rather be above the growth looking down then trough it loooking for a shot...IMHO
Old 04-18-2009, 09:23 AM

I also hunt from 20 to 30 feet up.When I'm way up there close to 30 feet most deer I've hunted don't have a clue.I agree that tree cover and cover from other trees close to the stand play a big role in how high I hunt.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:47 AM
Typical Buck

I always seem to get busted at 15 feet and below, Even when I knew they were comming and didn't move a muscle. For me, were I hunt , the higher the better.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

I will hunt as high as the tree will let me in my climber but its always 20-30 feet off the ground.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my stands for bow hunting are 20 to 23 feet. My highest is 28 feet.
Old 04-24-2009, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

16 Feet for the Platform. Too high you lose the angle and vitals shrink. Play the wind like your suppose to, no need to risk a nose bleed to go undetected.