Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Food Plot in IN

Old 04-07-2009, 04:01 PM

Default Food Plot in IN

I am wanting to start a food plot for deer in our back yard. There is a creek beside us and has woods on both sides and farther on it is connected to a big woods. I know there are a lot of different food types and brands. I am wondering if you have had any luck with anything? Or have any adivse on what to do?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Food Plot in IN

When are you wanting them to use the plot? Early season, Late season, both?
1st thing to do is make sure your soil is ready in terms of ph. Do a test. If you need lime to nuetralize your soil, use powdered lime not pelletized if your liming close to planting.

Here in SE Indiana for the early season I haveperennials..clover and alfalfa, sometimes some chickory in there. Mow clover as needed to control weeds and promote new, more attractive growth.

Late season I plant winter wheat, rye, oats.. Trying brassicas for the first time this year.

All year food plot. Try clover mixed with rye. Or plant wheat, oats, or rye and overseed with clover. Or plant all together.Depending on where you are in Indiana check your planting dates. Clover can be planted now, for some others you may want to wait a few weeks. For fall planting, plant late august or early september depending on the rain you're getting. If you check out the wildlife management forum there is a lot of information, and you can look at some of my current projects. There are people in the wildlife management forum who are VERY knowledgable (not me). You will learn a lot there. Good luck to you, don't cut corners and you will succeed.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:45 PM

Default RE: Food Plot in IN

Thanks for the information. I am wanting to have them come in early to see what is around our property. I will probly plant a mix of clover and alfalfa. But am going to put oats to because I know they like them.