Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ballistic Tip Bullets

Old 03-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Ballistic Tip Bullets

ORIGINAL: wolverine72

Absolutely nothing wrong with Nosler BT's for hunting, IMHO. I think they are great.

I have shot many deer with 165 gr. Nosler BT's loaded tospeeds around2,750 FPS. Never one problem, and I've hit bone. I've found that myRuger 77.30-06 shoots 165's much better than 150's.

How many deer have been shot with un-bonded Remington Core Lokt's or Winchester pointed soft points?Millions... You do not need a premium bullet to kill deer sized game.

Hunters usually run into problems with BT's when they use them at magnum velocities. I have a friend that used Nosler BT's out of a .257 Weatherby Magnum and had the bullets split apart -- too much velocity. It took him three shots to kill an antelope. Hehas since used thesame bullets, loaded at non magnum velocities, out of a .25-06 with no problems.

I've shot three antelope with the .30-06 load refered to above -- all one shot kills with baseball sized exit holes.
yeah right, just don't cry like the guys i know,when you loose that'once in a lifetime animal ' because of hunting with a hollow point bullet. if you are getting baseball sized exit holes that only proves my point that these bullets will explode on impact ,think about it . if they stayed together you'd have a 1inch hole maybe.

there is no finer bullet made for deer then the old spirepoint.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

swrshooter.

I did not discount your opinions on your post,and politely statedmy own opinions on mine.

Nonetheless, this 14+" anetlope (which I consider a once in a lifetime animal) was shot using a 165gr. Nosler Ballistic Tip, in .30-06hand loaded to about 2,750 fps. It was only 100 yards, so if the bullet were to blow up and not work, it would at that distance.

Iwould say that bullet performancewas a little more than adequate.

I use this exact load all the time for deer and deer sized game, and have never criedover anylost gamewith it. For Elk and large big game, I'd want to use and Accubond or a Partition.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Fork Horn

I used 150 grain nosler ballistic tips in my 06 springfield last year and had great results with them. I almost feel like they work too good. Sometimes they expand a little too much. I'm going to try the accubond bullets.
Old 03-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Typical Buck

The ballistic tip when it first came out had an issue with too thina jacket. The ballistic tip was the reinvention of the nosler solid base.
(although for the life of me I don't know why Nosler ever fvcked with it, as it was a very accurate, great performing bullet!)
They did listen to people that complained and re-designed the ballistic tip to a thicker bullet jacket and a better bonding process. If you have older ballistic tips, send them back to Nosler and they will replace them with the new improved stuff.

Personally if I am going on a hunt for any animal, it's worth it to me to use a premium bullet. Who spends 6-8-10 thousand bucks on a hunt and buys cheap bullets? It doesn't make sense. It's cheap insurance. Hell even if I am doing a do it yourself hunt and go through all the trouble to get near an animal, why would you skimp and take a chance?
Old 03-08-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have used 165 gr. BT's in hand loaded hunting loads out of a 30.06 Spr. I had only one so called 'blow up", but that was enough for me. I know several guys that use them and love them ... each to his own.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 PM

You're hittin too high if you're shattering a shoulder. Any foreward rib shot with a BTip is deadly. Even with a .243. I've hit low shoulder with a Winchester Balistic Silver Tip and dropped it.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

All i load and shoot are nosler bt's. I've had excellent luck with them in 223,243,6mm,270,30-06. Havent seen a bullet failure and heavy bone doesnt stop em at all. I watched my father shoot a deer at 10yd with them last yr and they did not explode 150gr outa 30-06. I've personally shot deer with 270 at 30yd and they performed great.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

My experience with Winchester's Ballistic Silvertip (CTs improvement of the NBT) has been remarkably similar to the picture posted by Wolverine. I shot a nice racked (smallish bodied) 7-point this past year at about 50 yards with my 7mm Remington Magnum with a 150 grain BST.

When hunting in eastern Kentucky (where the terrain is STEEP and I do not want the deer to go anywhere), I always aim about 1/3 up the front leg at the lower point of the shoulder. The BST shattered both shoulder blades and left a five inch exit blowing about half the right lung onto the hillside 10 feet behind the deer. The deer took a single step before falling.

I would not worry about their use on deer with a .30-06.

That being said...

I must conceed that I have experienced several bullet failures with 130 grain .270 Winchester Silvertips, 150 grain .30-06 Powerpoints and Core lokt bullets, and 150 grain .30-30 Silvertips. All of these killed the deer, but failed to penetrate through the deer, and leftdifficult blood trails.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:32 PM

I use a 300WSM / 168 BST and have had great results. The last fall I took a moose one shot and the round went straight through the shoulder blade.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:22 PM

We have never had any issues on our ranch with ballistic tips cleanly taking game.

Quick Reply: Ballistic Tip Bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.