Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Blind or Treestads

Old 05-16-2003, 08:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Blind or Treestads

If you stay out all day , and like still hunting at midday like me , go with a pop-up blind . Portability makes for a less boring day , and a camo blind hides your movement and some smell . I have an Ameristep blind , it weighs 4 pounds , and carries on your back . Treestands have their good points , but my personal feeling about them is that they are too limiting . Besides , trees are for squirrels .
Old 05-16-2003, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to sit in a ground blind, then advance in a still hunt/stalk when the day is warm. Being in a tree stand is all well and good, and I' ve got several hung, and hang more during the year, but what I actually hunt the most is on the ground. I don' t use store bought groundblinds mind you, I only use natural materials located where I' m hunting, fallen logs for uprights, goodly limbs for trusses, branchy limbs and rose vines for concealment and roofing. Roll in a good thick log for a bench, and figure out where you' re best shooting lanes are to arrange good " loopholes" through the brush. This bow season, I took a shot, missed, couldn' t find the arrow, so I told my buddy to walk out there and I' d stand in the mouth of the blind and direct him to it, wanted to use hand signals so that we wouldn' t have to hollar, but he couldn' t see me, while he knew where the stand was and I was in front of it, from only 35yrds!!!
Old 05-16-2003, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

High is good....Higher is better!
Old 05-17-2003, 11:03 PM

I like to hunt in a treestand because I don' t like to hunt out of a blind.[:' (]
Old 05-17-2003, 11:09 PM

I mostly hunt out of trees with my bow on my land but when it comes to rifle hunting i use a ground blind made of nat. cover and i do have a couple blinds with sliding windows and stuff and then this year i bought 2 portable blinds a wigwam blind and a doghouse blind so im hoping to do both bowhunting and riflehunting out of them.
Old 05-18-2003, 01:38 AM

I prefer a tree stand as it helps keep your scent up and away from ground level better. I know thermals, at different times but up high keeps ya a little harder to notice.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:34 AM

I prefer hunting in a treestand but I want to try to hunt with a blind.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:19 PM

I mostly hunt from treestand when I can. I let the deer travel patterns and the surrounding terrain dictate my set-up. If there is as suitable tree handy, I' ll be up in it.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:00 PM

You see, if you have a blind with half decent cover such as low tree boughs you may find a slight advantage over treestands. This is so because of the angles and levels
Old 05-23-2003, 02:40 PM
Fork Horn

i have hunted in both blinds and treestands and have seen the same amount of deer in both. i usually set my blind up a few days before i am in it so it is nothing new to the deer

Quick Reply: Blind or Treestads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.