Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

deer hunting

Old 02-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: deer hunting

To answer the question, you bet, sure it would, but there are many other alternatives and there are many pros and cons to your choice, if i may suggest a few pros

1. You will be able to own one rifle to do nearly all of your North American Big game hunting
2. You shouldnt have to track your coyotes very far.
3. This caliber would come in very handy if you have very long shots.

a few of the cons

1. ammo would be a bit pricey
2. large holes if your hunting them for the fur
3. people always telling you its more "gun than you need"

I actually prefer my .300 win mag, it has a very wide range of bullet weights and styles with which i can reload it with, any where from 110 to 220 grain. I have used my .300 for everything from prairie dogs to Whitetails, and hope to one day take an Elk with it.
It is very flat shooting with the 110 grain bullets, has decent ballistic coefficents, will also takeall North American Big game except maybe the dangerous kind, I would want a .338 for those.

If you are new to this, I would actually recommend a 30-06, it will kill anything with antlers and the ammo is considerable cheaper.

another great alternative today is to purchase a Thompson Contender, they are a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, extremely accurate and you can purchase different barrels, ie....nearly all rifle calibers,shotgun,and muzzleloader. I am actually thinking of selling all of my guns and buying one Contender to handle the bulk of my hunting, I would have to keep the Benelli.

I shot these coyotes with my .300 this winter.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

when i took hunters saftey they went through most of the major cartriges and what they were capable of. did anyone else have the field day when the instructor shot an ice block, water jug, cynder blocketc... and the .223 remark was just an example of a situation when knowing the caliber is a huge saftey factor.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hunt91

when i took hunters saftey they went through most of the major cartriges and what they were capable of. did anyone else have the field day when the instructor shot an ice block, water jug, cynder blocketc... and the .223 remark was just an example of a situation when knowing the caliber is a huge saftey factor.
I took my course, in the basement of a sporting goods store, in the bronx , we had coffee and doughnuts ,no shooting water jugs and stuff though, although Im not sure what that would demonstrate, sure woulda made it more interesting.

As far as "knowing the caliber" why would that dictate how safe you are with a particular gun? Not sure I get that logic, are you more likely to point a 223, or even a slug gun, in an unsafe direction ,more than say, a 7mag? Its real simple dont point any gun at something you arent willing to destroy ,and know whats beyond it as well. Do that and it doesnt matter what caliber it is, does it?
Old 02-25-2009, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, a 7mm Rem Mag will kill a coyote very, very dead. If you don't care about the hide, then by all means blast the little SOB's to kingdom come with your 7mm. Coyote are vermin in most parts of the country. Around here the coyote will kill deer (mostly fawns), turkey, pheasant and even will maul newborn calves. I've seen pictures of calves partially eaten alive. Needless to say that the farmers don't want them around, and will nail them themselves if they get the chance.

Now, if you do want to sell the hide, the 7mm Mag isn't the best choice because it's going to seriously mess up a 40lb coyote. You might get away with using a solid or FMJ bullet, just beware of ricochet.

Mike

Old 02-25-2009, 07:25 PM
Fork Horn

the ice block and jug were to show how powerfull guns are and that they r not toys(duh). and the "knowing your calibers" connection to saftey is that even though a .220 swift and a .22 are the same size bullet, the .220 is not an exceptible choice for shooting squirrels and crows out of trees. i do relize that this was not brought up in the post, just throwing out an example.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The fact that it is first post, and no return in 10 days since, is an indicator, IMHO, that the original question was BS to begin with.

Have to agree with Fastetti and others who saw through the garbage.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why does this threads title say "deer hunting"?

But yes it would take it down easily.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Fork Horn

i dont get the thread title either, but i dont think the person will ever reply back or much less stay on the fourm with then name being an e-mail address. thats my prediction.