Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fresh snow!

Old 01-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Fresh snow!

Man I am pumped! I am leaving work early to hunt in the first fresh snow I have hunted in over 20 years. It started about 5am and we have 4 inches right now. It has been a long time, I hope I am not shocked by how much easier they are to spot with a white background.

The Tazman
Old 01-03-2002, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Fresh snow!

Good luck Taz. Stay warm, and get a good one. I'm looking forward to good news.
Old 01-03-2002, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, yall got some of the white stuff on the ground. We were supposed to get a few inches of it Tuesday evening but it never happened. The weatherman got us all pumped up for it and the system never gained enough strength to produce. I had a few flurries at the house Tuesady night but that was it. I surely would of gone out hunting if it snowed. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for ya.
Old 01-03-2002, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Taz, I hunt northern Wisconsin all the time and the snow does make it a lot easier to see them critters !!! Even a 1/2" does wonder for the vision in the woods !!!!
Old 01-03-2002, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's amazing how easier things are to distinguish out there with snow on the ground. You can't really see further, but it seems like it.
Good luck TAZ.

Keep 'em all in the Bull.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:44 PM

I don't know, I think snow is kind of a double edged sword. I agree that you can pick out animals better against the white background, but I think overall visibility is worse because of the snow on the branches. When I go into the woods after a snowfall, the sightlines are all different. Great for tracking though. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd kill for some snow. Haven't had any luck with yotes or cats, never do until the first snow, and it sure makes deer easier.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck my friend and lets here some good news when you get back. I love hunting in the snow as there is no better picture in the world than to be out hunting with it snowing and everything is covered white. Just beautiful.

brian
Old 01-03-2002, 08:58 PM

You guys dont know how lucky you are I have never seen snow I was hoping it would have snowed last week when I was in Georgia but I was a week too early although it did get very cold, just my luck. I guess I'll wait till next year.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:17 PM

Go get them Taz!!!!!!!!!

City Hunter,

Just do a reverse of my trip! I'm heading to Florida in Feb to find some warm sun. Feel free to travel north. Should be some snow but there isn't a lot of it on the ground right now.