Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Head Shots

Old 01-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Head Shots

I say to each his or her own. I personally do not believe head shots are ethical. In theory, they may be the most ethical, but not everyone is as good of shot as me or you. That can lead to some problems as I have seen before. Another reason is I euro mount my bucks and really dont want a bullet hole through the middle of my mount. I'd say just practice enough so you dont screw it up. (but if you practice that much, a head shot isn't necessary)
Old 02-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Spike

Head shots are BS. And I dont understand how you can be losing meat unless your planting the bullet right in the shoulder. I don't care what all you shoulder shooters believe about aiming for the shoulder. This past season I decided to experiment with the idea of shooting deer in the shoulder and the whole idea of them dropping right there. Well i found its complete BS. I ve killed many deer with a rifle using a .308,.30-30,.30-06shooting them through the lungs and having them drop right in their tracks. This year I shot two deer with a .30-06 through the shoulders and they both ran over sixty yards with both shoulders busted. Mind you i was shooting a 180 grain core lokt.I decided to take a friends .22-250 out just for the hell of it being everyone believes we need big guns to put em down. I poped a doe right through the rib cage with a fifty five grain bullet and she went two feet straight to the ground. If your worrying about ruining meat than I suggest shooting them in the ribs. Head shots are too risky and un-ethical. Here in my home state of Pennsylvania .22's used to be legal to hunt deer until hunters started seeing deer with missing jaws and missing noses because of people thinking their hot shots like all you head shooters. Be ethical and shoot em through the lungs. I don't care how good of a shot you are. If you guys are so caught up in taking tough shots try aiming seven to eight inches from the top of their spine down into the lungs and touch a round off. If done correctly you won't have to track a deer ten feet.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Most of us here, if given the option of a head or chest shot will take the chest every time. But there have been a few times when a deers head will pop up above the golden rods or other brush, and that is the only shot option. if you are able to make that shot, than I see no problem with taking it.
-Jake
Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 AM

Its all about your ability as a shooter if the animal is still and the elements are in your favor,and you are confident take the shot.you have to have your own set of ethics when you hunt.