Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer? >

Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

Old 01-28-2009, 05:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

My buddy got one to use as a youth rifle for his son. It kicks a lot less than his bolt action.308, but we couldn't get it toshoot reliably at the range. That may bebecause of the scope we put on it. I think if you can hit a deer with it you'll put it down. Just spend some time at the range making sure it will shoot accurately enough for your hunt and have a backup plan in case it doesn't. That is, don't wait until July to take it to the range. If you can't get it to shoot well in the spring, plan on hunting withanother rifle and spend the summer with that one at the range.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Anyone use an SKS for hunting deer?

I have friends that swear by them but in my opinion they are not made to hunt with not deer anyways. Will they kill a deer? Yes. If a good hit is made. But that goes for any weapon. If you are comfortable with practice with it and use it if its not what you want or it disappoints you use something else.