Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How often do deer shed their antlers? >

How often do deer shed their antlers?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How often do deer shed their antlers?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How often do deer shed their antlers?

I know that a BB has to shed to get new growth but i always did wonder how it worked. I have seen a few BB that didnt break through. one of them never will cause i kinda hit himwith my truck.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Bartender

Well I have heard of some bucks shedding in late December so I guess it is possible for a buck to shed twice in 1 year. Jan-Apr and Dec of that same year.
The latest I have seen a buck with Antlers had been April 8th, 2006.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes button bucks shed... The bone on their head is ultimately "dead" therefore it needs to fall off to make way for the next years growth of antler. For the guys who thought it didnt fall off, did you think the buttons were going to grow velvet back over them, and then they were going to hit a new growth spurt and start to grow again into a bigger set of horns..?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:47 AM

ill sell you some deer sheds[8D]
Old 01-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

Yes button bucks shed... The bone on their head is ultimately "dead" therefore it needs to fall off to make way for the next years growth of antler. For the guys who thought it didnt fall off, did you think the buttons were going to grow velvet back over them, and then they were going to hit a new growth spurt and start to grow again into a bigger set of horns..?
X2. Even if a button does not protrude the skin it will fall off the following year when his next set of antlers begins to grow. Personally though I have never seen ones that have not grown through though. It is like when you had baby teeth, even if one of your baby teeth didn't fall out, when your adult teeth came they forced the baby tooth out, the baby tooth didn't just grow into your adult teeth. Hope this helps.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

The BB I shot this year didn't have bone breaking thru the skin. I just assumed that whatever growth was below the skin would have continued growing next year had he not been vacuum sealed in my freezer...