Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeding Apples To Deer

Old 01-19-2009, 02:35 PM

Default Feeding Apples To Deer

Hey guys, any of y'all feed deer apples. The deer around here love them, and it is great because I love to watch wildlife. The deer around here are always eating them off the trees and we let them, the meat tastes so good with such a great diet, it tastes better than beef. the deer get bulky with apple fat which makes the meat tastes good.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feeding Apples To Deer

Nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I don't know about the fat content of apples doing anything for the flavor as you would be hard pressed to find afruit lower in fat. Apples have an extremely low fat content. But I do agree apples somehow bring a nice flavor to the meat. I believe it is from the many vitamins and minerals that apples hold - especially the skin.

When I was youngermy family owned someapple andpear orchards in Southern Illinois that we hunted.Needless to say the deer were plentiful (and tasty).
Old 01-20-2009, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Around here in Texas there are no apple trees around. Throwing out apples here will likely scare deer away as they have no idea what it is.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Around here in Texas there are no apple trees around. Throwing out apples here will likely scare deer away as they have no idea what it is.
I don't doubt what you say but why wouldn't the deer investigate the apples? They would certainly smell them. Why won't the deer finally feed on apples, once they discovered it presented no threat and was indeed a tasty treat?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:15 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: zrexpilot

Not so sure on that. Where I live in Canada, we have no apple trees, yet deer love them if I put them out.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Typical Buck

Yep I've fed apples a few times. We have apple trees at home and you have to pick up the apples before you mow so instead of throwing them out in the field and going to no use I bag them up and take them out to the woods and put them out in front of my trail cam. the deer love apples. Now about the fat question. Apples don't have fat in them but they do provide large quantities of sugar to the deer which they would not normally have in their system so the buildup of sugar in their system could lead to an increase in caloric intake and therefore an increase in fat. Although if you have corn in your area I could see a larger increase in fat due to intake of corn over intake of apples because corn is higher in lipids (fat). and yes corn fed deer taste better than deer that live in a pine forest at least from the deer I've tasted I can vouch for this.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its just that I have tried all kinds of bait including apples and they never touch anything other than corn. I tried a scent wick one time and had a doe come in and went up to the wick and sniffed and then bolted snorting and making all kinds of racket.
Dont know if its true but one guy told me he baits with nacho cheese doritos and says deer love it.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Well doritos are made of corn so it is a possibility but i don't really feel like feeding deer perfectly good chips i could eat myself
Old 01-21-2009, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: LeftyBuckmaster

Well doritos are made of corn so it is a possibility but i don't really feel like feeding deer perfectly good chips i could eat myself
+1!, as far as that goes, I dont want no deer eating my apples![:@]

Quick Reply: Feeding Apples To Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.