Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Feeding Apples To Deer

Old 01-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Feeding Apples To Deer

hoss do you eat the apples that fall off the tree and become rotten. I prefer to feed the apples to the deer after 2-3 days of being sacked up because they are more aromatic allowing the deer to smell them more easily. I don't eat the rotten apples so I might as well feed them to the deer.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have put out apples on my property and there aren't any apple trees for miles. If they scare the deer, they aren't scared long. Pears are even better. If you can find some old pear trees around and pick up pears off the ground, brown ones and all, put in a bucket with some corn and chop up, deer go crazy over it.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

i've almost every fruit and vegatable growing on farms around me to deer, i worked on organic farm that had a big farm stand, and i'd take anything they wouldn't put out so august and september my deer had a little of everything, but they liked the apples the most
Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: uncle matt

Well I don't know about the fat content of apples doing anything for the flavor as you would be hard pressed to find afruit lower in fat. Apples have an extremely low fat content. But I do agree apples somehow bring a nice flavor to the meat. I believe it is from the many vitamins and minerals that apples hold - especially the skin.

When I was youngermy family owned someapple andpear orchards in Southern Illinois that we hunted.Needless to say the deer were plentiful (and tasty).
Fruit doesnt have any fat content. Its fruit. Obviously you can get fat from eating a bunch of fruit. But you'd have to eat so much that your teeth would fall out before you could actually gain anything. And even then you'd be gaining weight from the intake of carbohydrates in a simple sugar known as fructose. An overindulgence in any of the three calorie bases will end with weight gain. Even an overabundance of protein will go unused by the body and be stored as fat. The nutrition facts can be misleading because people think things with no fat content (pop, koolaid, etc) wont make them fat. Obviously its not always just the fat calories that get you. Anyways, thats neither here nor there, just wanted to clear that up.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:07 PM

I have used them in Jersey and they work great my problem was that they are expensive unless you buy a bin and then you have to store them, they do spoil fast and the bee's are a nightmare.But they are great
Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM

I have many apple trees on my 25 acres here in northeast pa. and the deer love them.there has not to many yrs. that i didnt get a nice buck hunting near these apple trees.and yes the meat definately tastes real good but nothing like beef.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

all the time!