Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 How long do you think it will take? >

How long do you think it will take?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How long do you think it will take?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default How long do you think it will take?

For the deer in my area to become accustomed to my feeder? I should have put it out a long time ago, but didn't put it out until december. i'm going to be feeding year-round from now on, so i'm just wondering if anyone can give me some encouragement, because right now i think the little electric motor is scaring them off or something.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:07 AM
Spike

Default RE: How long do you think it will take?

You should begin to see signs within a couple of weeks if not sooner. That little motor won't deter them once they figure out what it means.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not long...
Funny story!
A guy I know was telling me that he has a group of deer that come into his feeder every day around 4PM.
If these deer are a little early, he says, the big Doe will actually stomp the foot on his feeder, thinking she is starting the feeder and proceeds to eat.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:24 AM

Won't take long at all. As for the motor, it won't scare them, deer are very curious and they'll sometimescome in just to investigate the sound. Once they find out there's food, it be like a dinner bell!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 AM

they will begin to associate the noise of that motor to a treat, just be sure the corn is all gone before dark. if not the big boys learn quick that they can "live" at night and feed safely to.

good luck
Old 01-06-2009, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have had deer start feeding at at feeder within a couple of days. I'd give it a week to two weeks tops and most of your deer that will use it regularly will have found it. If your going to feed year-round, i'll share a tip that i was told and has worked for me. set it to feed a pretty good amount before sundown (after hunting season ends). this will make sure there is plenty of feed on the ground after dark when your more mature bucks will come out and it hasn't gotten eaten up by the does. as next years hunting season comes around, gradually set it earlier before dark and to throw less. once your mature bucks get used to it and it becomes one of thier primary food sources, they will be forced to show up during shooting light to get thier meal while they can. the key is make it a gradual change that will not be noticed.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Just a matter of time, I use a small one in the off season to lure in the deer to get pics on the trail cams to see what new bucks are making their home in our timber. Like everyone else before me has said, they get used to the noise of the motor after a while, especially after they associate the sound of it with a free easy meal. So rest easy and give it time, patience is the key, cause you know they will be there sooner or later...