Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 2008 in review, all eyes to 2009 >

2008 in review, all eyes to 2009

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2008 in review, all eyes to 2009

Old 01-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default 2008 in review, all eyes to 2009

I am new to the board and just had to share; You will find I tend to write a decent amount with virtual clarity and big words, that even I don't understand. I do this to chronicle the deer that I have harvested and hope to continue to post my hunting stories, and share with others the happiness and satisfaction that I have gotten being in the woods with all of Gods creatures, regardless or not of harvesting a "big" deer.

Due to my obligations to Uncle Sam, scouting season found me working hard at my then currentduty stationat Fort Lewis inWashington State. Beinga long way from Iowa, andI knew that the hunting was going to be hard, and set to with confidence and competence, or lack thereof both. Not knowing where the deer were now feeding coupled witha lack of knowledge on new bedding areas after the shotgun seasons, I set out on a2 week straight binge of deer hunting, a binge that would only leave me cold, frustrated and extremely tempermental (I am still in negotiations with my fiance over my apology terms).
I knew that the 470 acre farm and timberland that I hunt would be a safe haven for the deer following the pressure of theEarly Muzzle Loader season, and both seasons of shotgun hunting that Iowa utilizes to help curb the overpopulation of deer. I returned homearound Thanksgiving, eager to get out and enjoy the outdoors that I missed so dearly, and found that the population of coyotes had boomed since 2007, the last time I was home. After getting back out and talking to the farmers that I hadn't seen or talked to in a while, I was able to establish a game plan, and with insight on how and where the deer were moving took to glassing a few of the fields, to confirm that this is where the majority of the activity was taking place.Sure enough I found them, four days and almost no toes later, I had finally found them.
The first night found me in a blind on the otherside of the property, no where near the deer with no explanation as towhy I sat here other than the wind. Cold, hungry, and exhausted from boredom I called it a day and made my way back to the truck. I finally got the wind I needed, but was slowed by freezing rain the night before, making the walk I knew I had to make to the back field a dangerously loud one. I made my way to where I wanted to be, and only tookabout an hour longer than I wanted it to, but felt confident that I hadn't spooked all the deer in Minnesota.
It was a miserably cold night and I had already told myself that at 5pm I was packing it up and getting the heck out of dodge. Soon, 5 o'clock rolled around and I muttered silently to myself, one more minute, but my body had made up its mind. Caring nothing for the noise I was making I took off my outer jacket and began to stuff it into my pack, and clicked the clasps on the pack. I reached up to grab my bow from the limb I had it hanging on, and much to my surprise the deer had began feeding around me, not paying any attention to the noise I was making, and only 35 yards to my front a doe was watching me intently. Legal light came and went fast, so I decided to walk out and leave her for the next day.
The next 5 days found me searching for the herd once again with no such luck and here I sit today. I am not a trophy hunter in the least, but I will not hesistate to harvest one either. However, I was able to secure meat for the freezer, I amashamed to say that the deer actually killed itself. She had gotten hung up on a fence along the road and my buddy called the Sheriff and we got a salvage tag for her, so yes, I will not go hungry for a short time, and my freezer is full (a good feeling all in itself).

I decided to go out and glass the fields one last time last night and had just stopped on the road and was able to take the picture posted. I didn't have the good camera with mebut was able to snag a quick one.Though I didn't get the opportunity to harvest this amazing deer, with a little planning, scouting and preparation, I can look forward to trying to "stick" himin 2009.

Notice the size of the brow tines... He's already got buck fever running in me full bore for next year!

Old 01-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2008 in review, all eyes to 2009

Good read and Welcome!
Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 PM

Default RE: 2008 in review, all eyes to 2009

sounds like any day stalking in scotland .hope you get your man!