Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

braking the law

Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: braking the law

You cant tell me im the only one who shoots before and after legal hours? Most people don't buy expensive scopes for the clarity, it's for the low-light conditions! At least i'm honest
Old 12-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

Gee I thought it was obvious by my 1st post that I consider a hunters "fair share" to be the tags on his license.
Interesting. It's ok to you to shoot deer out of season, as long as the person's got that many tags for the season?

Man rory your a tough nut to crack but Im not gonna give up you yet.

Where did I say "its ok to shoot deer out of season"? For the 3rd time, I said I dont like it . All Im saying is, Im not gonna go a one man crusade against it, when the DEC relies on the "honor system" to check deer by reporting harvested deer by phone. I just wish, if theyre gonna cheat , cheat on 2 deer, not 5 or 6, so the rest of the legal hunters have some left to hunt. Why do you take that as Im condoning poaching?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

99% of the people that say they have never broken any game laws are lying. It's like masturbation. There are those that admit to it and those that lie about it.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. People who say they haven't are just thinking about major violations. Lets say you take your orange hat off to scratch your head, guess what, your breaking the law. You leaned a loaded can against the car (in some states) youre breaking the law. Left you pen in your truck when you shot a deer, youre braking the law. There are too many little laws that you don't even know exist that you can break. Not many people on this site personally try to break laws im sure, but it happens. You just A. Don't know or B. Don't get caught. This year I shot a doe about 4 mins after shooting light, did I break the law, yes, Am I going to loose sleep over it, no. I didn't know the time when I shot but saw after the shot that it was past shooting light. Everyone breaks the law, most by accident, if you say you haven't you are lieing to yourself.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fastetti

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

99% of the people that say they have never broken any game laws are lying. It's like masturbation. There are those that admit to it and those that lie about it.
Couldn't have said it any better myself. People who say they haven't are just thinking about major violations. Lets say you take your orange hat off to scratch your head, guess what, your breaking the law. You leaned a loaded can against the car (in some states) youre breaking the law. Left you pen in your truck when you shot a deer, youre braking the law. There are too many little laws that you don't even know exist that you can break. Not many people on this site personally try to break laws im sure, but it happens. You just A. Don't know or B. Don't get caught. This year I shot a doe about 4 mins after shooting light, did I break the law, yes, Am I going to loose sleep over it, no. I didn't know the time when I shot but saw after the shot that it was past shooting light. Everyone breaks the law, most by accident, if you say you haven't you are lieing to yourself.
I agree---probably not one of us who hasnt been in a stand after legal light. Even if you are headed out at legal light and your gun is loaded --your breakling the law arnt you?
Also--You mention to leaving your pen in the truck-what are you refering to?
Old 12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think most people have done something illegal at some point of hunting....perhaps they were wearing camo orange and not pure orange....

or stepped foot on private property without knowing...

I know in IL quite a few guys carry 5 slugs in the shotguns during deer season without knowing we're a 3 slug state....you need a plug, or just a max of 3 slugs in your gun.

As far as breaking major laws to poach, or on purpose, I don't think many guys intentionally break laws in order to hunt.

But I do think most have probably had an infraction.

Its like tred barta said....in NJ you get stopped by the game warden you're getting a ticket for something....if you look hard enough you're probably doing somethign wrong....

I know years ago my dad didn't sign his deer license, it was his license, had his name, address etc..on it, game warden stopped him....gave him a warning, said most of the time you'd geta ticket for that....for not having it signed?

Also every state is different, and the license agents usually dont have a clueI find you need what when and for what.... some states your tag is y our license, some tstaes you need a tag, a license, and a stamp....sometimes another stame if youre using a rifle tag for archery....

Old 12-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Umm. I didn't check in a deer one time. And the majority of the time I am hunting I leave my backpack in the truck. Which contains my liscense. It is a law to have it with us at all times. But I dont like to leave it in my pockets because I am scared I will forget I put it in there and wash it, and never have it again. But other than that I do try my hardest to obey.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 AM

I HAVE......
Old 12-12-2008, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the real question is. Why? Why do (did) you break the law?
Old 12-12-2008, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shot a doe antelope one year, got her in the neck. Standing behind her was a small fawn antelope that was killed on a pass thru from the same bullet. By technical description that is illegal. It was witnessed by a DOW officer who exonerated me from the situation and allowed me to donate the "illegal" kill.

Plenty of "holier than thou" hunters. Considering the extent of most state hunting regs I would be inclined to believe there are a whole bunch of hunters who have broken some kind of game law and not even known it.
Old 12-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I voted yes..though I try very hard to not break the law. So what have I done...Moved a deer before filling out a tag. Technicaly you have to have it filled out before you ever move the deer. I fill it out first now.

Other than that I can think of anything I have done. However, I may have done some things that are technicaly against the law. Like I said I try very hard to know I am not breaking the law and if I find I have been I change.

Quick Reply: braking the law

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.