Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

No Luck in KS

Old 12-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Default No Luck in KS

Hunted the first3 days of rifle season in KS, saw the fewest deer I've ever seen while hunting. And I can tell ya'll one thing, it wasn't for a lack of trying. We hunted cut corn, cut beans, standing corn, draws, grass fields and the river. We still hunted until the soles of our boots were worn. But we only managed to see two deer, both small bucks. Not one doe while we were hunting, NOT ONE!! I've never been so puzzled while hunting in my life, and the same goes for my hunting buddy. But all in all, I enjoyed my time in the woods and sharing some great stories with a great friend. Like I always say, if it was a guarantee we wouldn't have to pull the trigger.

Anyone have any luck in KS?
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Default RE: No Luck in KS

What county were you hunting in?
Old 12-07-2008, 09:01 PM

I personally didn't have any luck (saw quite a few does and only3bucks but nothing in range [chased one for over a mile but couldn't catch him on foot]) but others in my group shot a nice 9 pointer and 2 nice 10 pointers. A family friend owns a large amount of land in the Pratt area and he rents some of it to a local outfitter. Those hunting in the outfitter's blinds supposedly got some really nice deer but I wasn't aroundlong enough to see the photos. Of course, I hunted one area for a couple days and the next day the outfitter had a NICE deer walk from where I had been hunting to his hunter's blind. . . (stupid stupid stupid)
Old 12-12-2008, 11:31 AM

I was hunting in the Perry State Wildlife area, which looked good to me prior to the season when we set stands. But apparently it sucks because we hunted the **** out of it and couldn't find deer.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:04 PM

I shot my buck opening day in KS (I'm not an out of state hunter) but we hunt some pretty decent land.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

I shot my buck and a doe first light of opening morning, shot another doe around 11:00 and my buddy shot his buck by 11:15. Had another doe Friday morning. I've never hunted at Perry, but I would guess it gets hunted hard by archers. Luckily, I hunt private family owned land in NCK.