Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

bow hunting (help me out)

Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 PM

Default bow hunting (help me out)

so I wanted to start bow hunting but I dont know ANYTHING about it. can you just fill me in on the basics like, max range for a bow, what kind of arrows do you use or does it depend on the bow, etc etc. THANKS SO MUCH!
Old 12-07-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: bow hunting (help me out)

Blaze...first off, best of luck to you. Max range=what you feel comfortable with after you begin to shoot. For me, that range is right around 30 yards.

If you have an archery pro-shop, head down to it and tell them you need their help. If not, you have to measure your draw length, then buy a bow with that draw length. After that, there are arrow charts that show what arrows you should be shooting given your draw length and draw weight of your bow.

Let us know if you are located around an archery shop. If not, tell us what kind of hunting you do...I am sure there are many good guys on here that can help you out.

BEST of luck.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:41 PM

Default RE: bow hunting (help me out)

[8D]On your ranges, the beat way is to pick a spot, get red tape, and tape off your yardage. 10-20-30-etc. but remember if youre hunting in a stand you need to add a slight more length onto your yardage. Never shoot at walking deer. Your arrows do depend on what kind of bow you are using. The best tips that I have used are the 100 grain sniper tips.I would not try to take down a deer that was over 30 yards.