Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

slug gun

Old 12-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: slug gun

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

Savage 10 ML ll.

I know, I know, its not a slug gun, but I've never seen a 300 yd slug gun, or a slug gun shoot under 1" groups. Dont overlook ML'sif you are worried aboutrange. The black and blue one goes for about $500.
Ill 2nd the savage, no other ML or slug gun can match its accuracy or ballistics. Although 300yds seems stretching it a bit, you get true 200yd++ performance w/ half the recoil!

My puttycat load is a piddily 40grs of imr4759 and a 250 gr SW / 2000FPS! Low recoil , 1.5MOA, and drops deer!

Ive loaded as much as 44grs and cronied 2400FPS!

No cleaning ,No smoke!

Its is heavy at 11lbs w/ scope though. but most shotguns and MLs are on the heavy side though.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

No, streching honest. 4-5" groups at 300 yds, and only 20" of hold over. 250 yds is a gimme with this thing.60g n120 and a 300g .458 barnes original at 2300fps will do it.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hossdaniels

No, streching honest. 4-5" groups at 300 yds, and only 20" of hold over. 250 yds is a gimme with this thing.60g n120 and a 300g .458 barnes original at 2300fps will do it.
No, I'm sure its doable, Ive just never taken a shot over 90 yds at a deer w/ a ML is all. The farthest Ive ever shot mine at the range is around 180yds to be honest, and at 1'' high, it only dropped about 2" which was pretty impressive to me.

20" of holdover is probably more than I'd personally feel comfortable w/ but Im a NE brush hunter. If I was out west I'd probably practice regularly at that range.

It really is amazing though what the Savage is capable of.

BTW sorry to HIjak guys.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

ORIGINAL: piketon_hunter#9

ORIGINAL: Hurricanespg

For a dedicated slug gun a H&R Slug Hunter would hit in your price range and would do a lot better job than the 870.
just curious, whats ur logic with this??
That it would be easier for him if he were to need a dedicated slug gun to get better accuracy at longer distances with a shotgun built for shooting slugs.
I'm not dissing any other shotgun out there, just stating that it would be easier to get better accuracy at longer ranges withoneof the H&R slug gunsthan with an 870, or pretty much any other pump or auto out there.
i wasnt accusing you of dissing anything, i was jus wonderin why you thought this way.
i like the h&r slug guns, and the bolt action slug guns, but i do a lot of drives during our gun season and follow up shots are important to me. i would probably use my muzzleloader if such wasnt the case
Old 12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

What sort of scope base system does the H&R use?? Is it drilled and tapped for a rail? Thats one of the drawback with the 870, 1100 or Mossberg. You need to buy a cantilever barrel if your gonna put glass on it. I just never had real good luck with the side saddle scope bracket.

Another question... Does the H&R have a heavy slug barrel or pretty much a regular shotgun wall? It sure can't weigh anymore than my 1187 SP. That things a tank!!

Thinking on an H&R myself. What the bottom line?$$$$
Old 12-08-2008, 03:54 PM

is price wasn't an issue what is the best slug gun?
Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

hoss; I'm afraid that Outdoor Life did not do much proving of anything in their test.
moss; The best slug gun is going to be subjective, but I would cast a vote for Tar Hunt.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Didn't prove anything, true. But the 12ga's were more accurate, and that was alot of rounds. I've always heard 20's were more accurate.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

My 20 gauge USHcame with the weaver style base on it . My uderstanding is that the 20 gauges have 12 gauge barrels and the 12 gauge have 10 gauge barrels...drilled for their gauge. So yes they are a heavy barrel. Now this is on the Ultra Slug Hunter models.
ORIGINAL: Planter

What sort of scope base system does the H&R use?? Is it drilled and tapped for a rail? Thats one of the drawback with the 870, 1100 or Mossberg. You need to buy a cantilever barrel if your gonna put glass on it. I just never had real good luck with the side saddle scope bracket.

Another question... Does the H&R have a heavy slug barrel or pretty much a regular shotgun wall? It sure can't weigh anymore than my 1187 SP. That things a tank!!

Thinking on an H&R myself. What the bottom line?$$$$
Old 12-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: moss50012

is price wasn't an issue what is the best slug gun?
whatever one you like

i have heard awesome things about the ithaca deer slayers

Quick Reply: slug gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.