Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Eating road kill! *GASP*

Old 12-06-2008, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Eating road kill! *GASP*

none for me thanks, I like to shoot my own meat...
Old 12-06-2008, 11:00 AM
Spike

I have eaten a road-kill once. I butchered it myself. Not a huge problem. Just cut away the shoulder on one side. He broke his neck. Everything else was perfect.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd thought Is thrown in that in the Suburbs of Chicago they have an actual list that you have to get your name on and then they will call you when it is your turn. I know the list on some cities is getting pretty long. In the Northern Suburbs I know the list is getting so long you are lucky to get one call a year from the police to pick up a road kill.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:38 AM
Fork Horn

here in manitoba it is illegal but the is supposed to be some sort of loophole but i'm not sure what it is exactly. imho i would not be eating a auto struck deer.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Spike

The rules in maine are weird. If you hit a deer you have the option to take the deer if you are a maine resident. If you are not a maine resident and hit a deer you have no options at all. The police take it and donate it to food drives and shelters. If you take it and dont call the police you are poaching.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:14 PM

Could not...would not, plus it is illegal here in Bama.
Old 12-11-2008, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

There's nothin like a fresh pot of Bumper Bambi fawn du!!!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM

This probably isn't the best way to make a first impression on these forums, but I stop every time I find roadkill to see if it's fresh and where it was hit. Nine times out of ten I end up just filleting off the backstraps, the looks you get by passing drivers are always classic. [8D]
Old 12-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

if you see it happen and therefore know its fresh then take the deer no question... just make sure its actually dead first cause they have been known to become stunned and come to on the way to a persons home, wakeup in the car and go nuts
Old 12-11-2008, 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: hunting junkie

in indiana you have to get a road kill permit from the police to make it legal
Same in IL. Have to call the police. They give you a tag. Take home a deer. All I know is if I hit a deer ever or my dad if it get killed it is coming home.

I would love to get a fresh road kill. I want to get a deer to practice my first butchering on. I just do not want to screw up something that I have shot.

Quick Reply: Eating road kill! *GASP*

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.