Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Do you see what I see?

Old 12-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Spike

Default RE: Do you see what I see?

"jaguarundi" is the name of the subspices of cat that Mr. Sharp gave to this cat.Outdoor Alabama, which is put out by the conservation department did a big story on cats of Alabama, and there are small numbers of long tailed cats left, closely related to the cats of the Flordia panhandle.This attention has been good for my guide service, we harvest good deer at all my camps, but now this one in being shut down till further notice.

As for harvesting the cat myself, no problem, like anyother I've shot in Africa. Conservation officer words were "shot it and go to Jail for a long time".
Old 12-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

I'm all for seeing a Jaguarundis and Cougars (black or tan...lol) but I think you have nothing more than a Bobcat in that pic. I zoomed in on it and it looks like a Bob to me.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Allison225Merc

" As for harvesting the cat myself, no problem, like anyother I've shot in Africa. Conservation officer words were "shot it and go to Jail for a long time".
If it's just a Bobcat you got no problems there.... it's Bobcat season here in Bama!!!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:21 PM

I think I am going to go with the wildlife biologists on this one. Two of them say its a Jaguarundi. Its a Jaguarundi.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Spike

We will know more in the morning. I've got to call him in the morning to find out the outcome of the photo research they did today. If its a bobcat I'm kool with that, But anytime you see someones face change from, what am I looking at to come to my office, it tends to send up a red flag. Catch it, keep it, or whatever, I've got coustomers that have paid to hunt close to home, and I'm shut down.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: gypsybill

I think I am going to go with the wildlife biologists on this one. Two of them say its a Jaguarundi. Its a Jaguarundi.
Jaguaruni's have a solid coat, this one if zoomed in, clearly has spots. Jaguarundi's only weigh about 14lbs and this looks larger than that.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 PM

Bobcat = "bobbed tail" + cat
Jaguarundi is a long tailed feline.

If it's one of these 2 I go with the Jaguarundi. It was stated that they only run about 14 lbs though. Therefore I go with panther.

I know I know... no such thing as a black panther.
It's just a cougar with really dark fur. Maybe he's been out in the sun too much and got a bit of a tan.

A 35+ pound cat with a long tail and black... hmmmmm
Old 12-04-2008, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can't find its head it the picture. Where did it go? It's a cat for sure. If its a bobcat its got the longest legs of a bobcat ever. I really think that it is though. Its spotted so that leaves us with bobcat, jaguar or lepard. I don't think it is massive enough to be the latter two. Keep us informed. Very interesting!
Old 12-04-2008, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a zoomed in pic.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: jeremyjms06

ORIGINAL: gypsybill

Jaguaruni's have a solid coat, this one if zoomed in, clearly has spots. Jaguarundi's only weigh about 14lbs and this looks larger than that.
Only 14 pounds? I didn't know that. I assumed theywere much larger than that. I agree this cat looks muchbigger than 14 pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.