Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 i got busted............now what? >

i got busted............now what?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i got busted............now what?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default i got busted............now what?

well i was in my stand (my stand is located on a field edge which overlooks two small fields) this afternoon and at around 5:15 a big buck comes from out of nowhere at like 15+ yards. im looking the other way and when i see something i moved my head over to it real quick. when i moved my head the buck stopped in its tracks and stared at me. we were staring at each otherfor probably 10 minutes and then he started sniffing and it stomped its foot a couple times. it then kept walking like normal, and i moved to try to turn and shoot it but he bolted i never got a shot off. i dont think he smelled me i think he saw me. im really frustrated about it. this deer is probably old by the huge body on him and by the size of his rack. what did i do wrong? and if i hunt there tomorrow afternoon as well will i have a good chance of seeing a deer? give me some advice
thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i got busted............now what?

It all depends on the deer. You never know when he will come back. Most of spooked deer do, but I guess there are some that do not depending on how uncomfortable they feel. Maybe you'll get lucky and see him again tommorow.

GOOD LUCK
Old 12-02-2008, 04:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Move slower, I did the same thing on a doe earlier this year. I know it's tough, but you have to. Especially if he's heading into the field, you should have plenty of time to get the gun/bow up and ready.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think this deer was very smart becasue the instant i moved he stared me down.
like there was a couple times he stopped looking at me and i moved very slowly and then he stared at me again. can i move slowly if hes staring at me? what does it mean if he stomps?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

The deer that I had it happen to me with was a yearling doe. It doesn't matter how old or smart they are, if they catch that movement, they're ready to bolt. Also, I think while they're staring, the best thing to do is sit as still as possible. I've been busted before from movement, and if you sit still long enough, MOST OF THE TIME, the deer will go back to whatever was on its mind before. And when a deer stomps its foot, or does the headbob, it means they know, something ain't right.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

The deer that I had it happen to me with was a yearling doe. It doesn't matter how old or smart they are, if they catch that movement, they're ready to bolt. Also, I think while they're staring, the best thing to do is sit as still as possible. I've been busted before from movement, and if you sit still long enough, MOST OF THE TIME, the deer will go back to whatever was on its mind before. And when a deer stomps its foot, or does the headbob, it means they know, something ain't right.
yeah thats what i thought about the deer stomp.
well we were staring each other down and he got back to what he was doing and he was walking like normal and i wanted to make sure he didnt get in the brush and be gone and so i moved and THEN he ran. what can i do different about that?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

ORIGINAL: Rory/MO

yeah thats what i thought about the deer stomp.
well we were staring each other down and he got back to what he was doing and he was walking like normal and i wanted to make sure he didnt get in the brush and be gone and so i moved and THEN he ran. what can i do different about that?
Not sure. Tough to say when I wasn't there. Different deer do different things.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats ok.
when is the easiest time to shoot a deer? (like body position) and when is the worst?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

thats ok.
when is the easiest time to shoot a deer? (like body position) and when is the worst?
With a gun, the only shot I won't take is straight to me, or straight away. I actually prefer a quartering to shot with a gun.
With a bow, I won't take a shot unless it's broadside, or quartering away.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd recommend you try sitting in a different tree if possible. Keep em guessing. If he got a little whif of you he knows what to stay away from now.

Quick Reply: i got busted............now what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.