Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 i got busted............now what? >

i got busted............now what?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i got busted............now what?

Old 12-02-2008, 07:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: i got busted............now what?

yeah he didnt get a whiff from me im sure now. i might hunt in some brush near my stand and see if i have any better luck with more cover
Old 12-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im thinking that you take a stand in a different tree in the same area as well. Bucks bust people all the time, but if they weren't REALLY scared, they'll be back, just a little wiser. Plus, if its the rut, they have the ladies on there mind. If it wasn't for my buck this year trailing a doe after he spotted me, there would be one more buck running around the woods right now.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:07 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossbergman11/OH

we were staring at each otherfor probably 10 minutes
Isn't it funny how 30 seconds or a minute in the deer woods always turns into 10 minutes!

Just joshing with ya!
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once you have a deer walk up on you and you finally realize it, you're always close to getting busted, very close.You basically have no alternative, you must stay absolutely still, or as still as you possibly can. During that time, you must try to think things through. Ask yourself, if he bolts now, what should I do? If he continures on, when should I make my move? Like most hunters, I have been there as well. It can be nerveracking for sure.

Most times, when you think it's safe enough to move, it isn't. You must understand, you're not watching a deer that is simply moving through an area, you're watching a deer that knows you are there. He may not treat you as a direct threat at first, but he's still on high alert. Stomping his legs is his way of telling you that. He also may not be sure exactly what you are and he wants you to make a move so he can be sure exactlywhat it is.

I would look at this as a learing experience and trynot to make the same mistake twice. It seems obvious he bolted when you moved. He was waiting for that and you underestimated his ability to see you.

As far as seeing that deer again, I am certain he will be in the same general area. If he has no reason to believe a threat exists the next time, (no human scent, no movement, etc) IMO,he will return.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:16 PM

Try setting your stand as high as possible. Maybe find a tree with more cover around it, its tough without leaves on the trees but you can try to find one with a cedar or pine back drop maybe. I try to use cedars in the late season to provide stand cover, this will greatly help keep you from being busted.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:24 PM

make sure you scent control is on point & spray your clothes w/ UV KILLER & move slower next time..... GOOD LUCK
Old 12-03-2008, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, he saw you move. The stomping was try to get you to move because he wasn't sure you were a threat. You should have remained still, moving only when you knew he isn't looking. I would rather him not be spooked and get him another day, but that's easy to say sitting at my desk.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Typical Buck

I would get right back in there and hunt I would move my stand to a different tree
Old 12-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

i hunted from the same stand tonight but didnt see anything. a friend of mine told me that i should not look at the deer in the eyes becasue they can like feel that you are or something, he also said that when he puts he head down he tries to act like hes feeding but he actually is doing that to make the threat move so he can bolt.
why should i move my stand to another tree? would hunting on the ground be a better idea for tomorrow? what strategies should i use tomorrow?
Old 12-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Well with most animals looking them straight in the eyes is a no no because they are prey animals. It is a predatory thing to look them right in the eyes. Just give it some time he will come back around.

Quick Reply: i got busted............now what?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.