Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Cut corn question

Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Cut corn question

Hey all

I have not been seeing any deer in the cut corn around my area. The first couple of mornings, yes, but since then nothing in weeks. Now that being said, there is still much standing corn on adjacent land that I can not hunt... do you think that is where they are?

I do see many tracks around on the land I hunt, just not when I'm hunting it, probably night tracksso I know they are here. I thought I would sit on the border of the adjacent land and see if they come to the standing corn or out of the corn. Your thoughts?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cut corn question

We hardly ever have a hard time seeing deer. The only years we have ever had problems were the wet years when farmers could not get their corn harvested prior to deer season. So if you got standing corn and aint seeing much activity, I would say that it is not coincidence.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:27 AM

Default RE: Cut corn question

After the corn has been picked for a while much of whatever ended up on the ground has been eaten while what is left has likely spoiled or soured after rains. Corn that is standing and still in the shucks will withstand the rains, so I mow strips in my corn patches ever week or so during the season to keep fresh corn on the ground. If it rains a good bit after I've mowed, frequently they will quit hitting the corn that has been on the ground a while.