Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

A Question About CORN!

Old 08-29-2002, 03:10 PM

Default A Question About CORN!

I'm ready to HUNT!!! Last year I think I was in the woods way too much before opening season. This year I've only been on my property a few times to check the corn. Heck I haven't even put my deer cam out yet. I've got a few scrapes I think. AND I've got one big rub. I do have a question: Can you tell what is eating the corn? I mean I've got a bunch of rabbits and tree rats on my property and last year they munched the corn. BUT this year the corn is moving. I mean its being picked up and eaten somewhere else on occasion. The corn stalk is being broken in half in some instances. I wonder if this could be deer or something else. I guess my question is can you tell whats eating the corn! Whatever it is they are eating the heck out of it. later and HH! Ron
Old 08-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: A Question About CORN!

I highly suspect that raccoons are the main culprits, although squirrels will drag ears of corn off also. Coyotes will also eat corn.

Old 08-29-2002, 07:37 PM

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but what kind of tracks are you seeing in the cornfield? Deer tracks mean that deer are eating the corn.

Old 08-29-2002, 07:51 PM

bears eat corn too. check for tracks and u should be able to figure it out.

Old 08-29-2002, 07:52 PM

Hey Master: All of the corn on my property I've put there. Just about all of my property is covered in grass/trees there are very few dirt patches. And most of the places where I can see tracks are away from the corn. So far only one deer track in an ant bed. Hope to see more.... Although there is a nice rub near my corn bed. I may put out my non-typical deer cam soon. HH Ron
Old 08-29-2002, 09:43 PM

put the cam up and see what you get !!!!!

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Timber,sounds like coons are draging it off.Deer would eat it on the spot.Bear,I've never delt with.

Hunting is not a sport,it's a lifestyle.
Old 08-29-2002, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is a tree rat a squirrel??? Help me out.

Knocked down corn is almost definetely raccoons. Ocassionally deer will knock it down, but not usually until its turned brown. I've never seen rabbits even remotely interested in corn.

When the corn is green, deer will munch on the leaves, only occasionally the ear itself, coon love corn at all stages of growth. I find that if the coon knock over the stalks, deer will eat the ears on the ground as well. They do not seem to associate the ear with food until its somewhat dry - probably because there is plenty of other green food available in the summer months in my area.

In my area, corn comes into its own in Nov, and Winter for the deer.

Old 08-31-2002, 08:26 AM

that is also what I am thinking,coons.
they will destroy a corn field. check out some of the tresin the area also, I have seen them carry whole ears up the tree and shuck them. In the winter months I trap the coons around my feeder and sell them. I just use a live box trap and sardines.

http://www.cartogra.com/rs/35D6BABE-...77A760E/screen
Old 09-03-2002, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I could give my two cents on this subjest but since I don't know that much about corn, it would probably go in one ear and out the other.....

Quick Reply: A Question About CORN!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.