Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tennessee deer

Old 11-27-2008, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default Tennessee deer

I have been hunting in where I live in Tennessee and have only seen a couple of does. There are no deer anywhere and it gets annoying. I havent heard of many people getting deer either. Do any of you guys have any idea why I havent seen any deer? I have been hunting all over to. Is their any diseases going around or anything? Thanks.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tennessee deer

I feel your pain. Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) hit TN hard last year and killed off around 10% of the deer in my county. Many places were hit harder. That, and the weather turning warm right after the rut had just started is the reason many people aren't seeing that many deer this year.

The deer in my area are moving best from about 9am-12pm. Many of the young bucks are still running around in some areas, the big boys are mostly tending their does in the thick cover.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went hunting this morning and saw two does... My dad saw a tail of one...

So far we have shot 3 does and a spike... There are deer out there but they're hard to get!

Old 11-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

Husband and I went opening morning I saw a total of 13 deer 5 bucks 8 does. 2 Bucks were chasing deer could not get a good look at them and the biggest buck that I did make out was a 6 pointer, husband saw 1 doe. We came home empty handed as we have a management program we do not shoot anything that is not an 8 point or bigger. Have not seen any deer since opening morning it is like they have vanished.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

I live in Lewis county and it was one of the hardest hit counties by the stupid disease.They died out bad. I shot a small 8 point this evening and its one of only 4-5 deer that my hunting buddy and me has seen since opening day. Thats including the ones we seen on the way to the woods and back home.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in northeast Arkansas and I havent seen as many deer as i normally do, one reason I think is the mast crop. We have so many acorns here its unbelievable, the deer really dont have to move much to feed. I'm not seeing much buck sign either,saw some early rubs and scrapes but they have all gone cold. I have tried lots of different stands not much seems to work. Not sure where i will hunt this coming weekend on our place.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:24 PM

I think you're right. All I heard this past week in NW Tennessee was acorns falling. I've been seeing alot of deer though, partly because there is a giant oak flat behind me. I think if you can find the oaks you can find the deer. People are hunting fields and the deer are in the woods.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Typical Buck

I hunt in East Tn in Morgan Co and I am seeing tons of deer!No shortage of deer here!I have taken 3 deer this year off of the 104 acres I hunt.With a decent 8pt last Sunday!Ima member of tndeer.com and all of the guys there aren't having this problem and they are from all over the state.I have heard a few of them say that the ones that hunt in Lewis Co are seeing very low harvest numbers.Overall out harvest is up from last year!I think it may just be you or the place your hunting. Check this website out and you can compare last years harvest to this years and just for the county you hunt.It is really cool!
https://hfwa.centraltechnology.net/TNHFInternetHarvest/app/goHome.do
Old 11-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt middle TN, Montgomery and Stewart Counties. I have sen more deer this year than last year. I see at least 5 every time I go out. Have seen as many as 12 in a 2 hour window and that is on public land which is full of pressure.