Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Why would you ever leave the woods? >

Why would you ever leave the woods?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why would you ever leave the woods?

Old 11-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Default RE: Why would you ever leave the woods?

only time i have left is either to cold or i got idiots around me squirell huntin spookin every thing in sight
Old 11-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jimmy.. you don't make a distinction between archery and gun. You say you don't leave the woods but do you get up and walk around or do you keep still in a tree stand?

If I'm gun hunting I can eat a samich and walk over the top of the ridge ect but if I'm bow hunting I'm stuck in a tree. BIG difference.

Plus.. The only way to see any deer in NH is to stay in the woods. It's a tough state to hunt. Really big woods in some places and not alot of deer.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Planter

Jimmy.. you don't make a distinction between archery and gun. You say you don't leave the woods but do you get up and walk around or do you keep still in a tree stand?

If I'm gun hunting I can eat a samich and walk over the top of the ridge ect but if I'm bow hunting I'm stuck in a tree. BIG difference.

Plus.. The only way to see any deer in NH is to stay in the woods. It's a tough state to hunt. Really big woods in some places and not alot of deer.
Planter, you are 100% right when it comes to hunting during archery season. I was refeering to rifle season and I should have been better at explaining myself. You are also right about hunting NH. The longer you stay in the woods, the better your chances. especially when there may only be 10 deer per square mile.

Maybe folks hunt only part of the day and leave during the 'non-productive hours' is because of the deer numbers. Maybe it's no big deal leaving because they know there's so many deer in their woods, seeing them later will not be a concern.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Spike

Start hunting at daylight. Move around until noon. Return to truck to eat, drag deer regroup with rest of family. return to woods at 12:30 give or take. Wander around until dark. Hopefully see or shoot deer. Covered alot of country in 9 days. I'm sore.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Fork Horn

If you hunt everyday, Id like to have your job! If your talking about hunting all day when you get you get a chance to go to the deer camp or just on the weekends Then I still hunt more than the guy that posted this. I hunt atleast 5 days a week. I really dont understand this post, IS IT A I LOVE THE WOODS MORE THAN YOU DO BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO D KIND OF PAGE?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:51 PM
Spike

Sorry. My post is for rifle season. And yes I take the 9 days off as my vacation time. Otherwise I started bow hunting this year and was out in the woods after i got off from work every day i had a chance (about 3 times a week).
April
Old 12-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'd probably be dead by now if I didn't get a little mid day break.

During the rut i'm all day. Other than that with the amount of days and hours I put into it, I can't see myself everyday ... all day. Someone would have to carry me in and out by mid November [8D]
Old 12-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Better question might be why would you want to sit in a stand for 10 straight hours? Most folks I know will hunt from Dawn until late morning, then maybe go back from mid-afternoon until dark. And they do just as well as the few folks who practically live in their stands. I could see a person doing that if they truely enjoy being out there all that time, or they only have a day or two that they can hunt out of the season.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's a good idea to get out of the woods for a while during the mid-day hours. One can start to lose their focus if they stay in the stand too long and just might miss seeing the deer they were so intent on seeing. A break during mid-day can refresh a hunter and his power of observation will probably be a lot better when he goes back into the woods.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Wind direction and time of day. I have morning stands and evening stands, west wind stands south wind stands, etc....Success is not measured by how long I stay on one stand.