HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope-
Old 11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Mojotex
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Please help - I am looking to get a new deer rifle for mule deer and antelope-

I certainly am not an expert on hunting mule deer. I have been onlyfour times. From that limited expereince, unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new rifle, your 270 Win. is plenty good. Not sure what type of terrain you will be hunting. I hunted in eastern Montana exclusively. Very wide open. I practiced a bunch at 300 and 400 yards, however my 4 shots (one on each trip) were about 85 yards, 125 yards, 325 yards and 200 yards.I used a 308 Win. on 3 of those trips and a 300 Win. Mag. on the other.

My 3 buddies that went with me, ironically, were all using rifles in a 270 Win. One dropped his buck at about 225 and the other at about 325. The other lost patience and decided to burn his "deer tag" on a fair 10 pt. white tail. Neither mule deer buck went out of sight.

I would suggest you use a quality, conrolled expansion bullet. A 130 gr. Partition for example would do fine.

To echo "Handles", if you have the extra $$$ for a new rifle/scope combo and decide to froe go a new rifle,and do not now have high quality binos, I would spend that $$$ on glass.I did just that after the first trip out and all the $$$ I spent, that was the bestmove I made.