Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

HUNTING

Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default HUNTING

At this time of the season would you hunt mid day say from 9;00 to 2;00 ,or would you stay with the normal time of early morn or evening hunts. The reason i ask in the morn i don't see my first deer till around 10'30 or i don't see my first deer till the last hour before dark .
Old 11-24-2008, 06:09 PM

Default RE: HUNTING

Depends on a lot of things, just have to feel it out and use your experience from the last couple weeks. We were sitting from dark til 10 in the morning on opening weekend, but we started going out a bit later in the morning and sitting or walking through the afternoon the second weekend of the season. If you're not seeing deer, change it up and try different times or different methods. Good Luck!
Old 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

mornings and evenings or all day dont just go midday unless that is the only time you can
Old 11-25-2008, 07:26 AM

IF YOU HAVE ANY TRAIL CAMS THEY CAN TELL YOU WHEN TO HIT THE FIELDS, BUT IF YOUR NOT USING ANY THEN I WOULD SAY AS MOST OF US DO A MORNING & AN AFTERNOON HUNT. GOOD LUCK.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like to hunt my stands and blinds in the morning/evening. during the middle of the day I'm up and moving around the a different area, both to do more scouting and to stay warm. I've gotten as many deer at lunchtime as I have in the morning/afternoon.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: arrow2512

.....or would you stay with the normal time of early morn or evening hunts.
My (our) normal times are all day - dark 'til dark. We always stay in the woods all day, never leaving. It's a personal choice and I understand a lot of hunters leave during mid-day hours but we stay all day for one simple reason. We love being in the woods and hunting deer.

I understand there are outside factors that require leaving the woods; family/work obligations, health issues, nasty weather conditions, etc but I could never understand why folks leave the woods and only hunt 50-60% of the hunting day. Sure, the chances of success may decrease during mid-day and that tells me some hunters only want to be around when their chances are the best. A plan I never understood, especially if there is no outside reason to leave.

Just my 2 cents.