Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to EVERYTHING

Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 AM

Default New to EVERYTHING

Hi everyone,

I'm new to everything here. I am 31 and just recently picked up my gun license from NJ. I'm looking at buying my first shotgun and am looking for any suggestions.

I'm a little broke right now, plus I'm incredibly green with hunting. I know everyone must have their favorite make shotgun.

A guy at work was telling me to look for a shotgun with a smoothbore barrel, rifle sights, and an adjustable choke. As a beginner, does this sound good? I'm just looking for opinions from different sources before I pluck down any cash.

Thanks a lot!
Jason
Old 11-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Default RE: New to EVERYTHING

I would look at the Remington 870. If you want to turkey hunt look at the 870 Super Mag.(It can hold a 3.5" shell) It is a good gun you can pick up for around $300. It has adjustable chokes and you can buy a rifled barrel for it later if you want to. But they sell rifled slugs so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:44 PM

i got a remington 870 super mag. just put it this way i will never have another shot gun in my hands
Old 11-24-2008, 01:03 PM

My dad has a 870 20 ga. He has had it as long as I can remember, I am 40 now. I picked up a 870 12 ga. last year. I have never heard a bad word about them. Been around forever. Solid gun! I am sure there are others out there, just have no experiance with them.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My first shotgun was a remington 870... Now I use a H&R Ultra Slug for deer, a mossberg 835 for turkeys..But You cant go wrong with a 870
Old 11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know of any shotguns, currently made, that have a smoothbore, rifle sights and an adjustable choke. Mabye a turkey model. I dont think you can find a smoothie w/ adjustable sight anymore, unless you find a used one, and If your deer hunting only, you dont need an adjustable choke to shoot slugs. If you want to just shoot slugs, buy a rifled barrel gun and shoot sabot or even traditional slugs.

If you want a gun for slugs and shot, you can buy a combo or get a basic field model which should come w/ different choke tubes for different game, and buy a saddle style scope mount to shoot slugs. If you dont want to buy a scope ,You can also buy an adjustable sight set that mounts on the barrel rib, which would be the least you would need to use slugs legally in NJ.

I think ,if Im not mistaken, NJ 6 day firearms season is next week, so your time to buy a gun, and sight it in, is limimted. You might want to consider using 3" 00buckshot through a full choke,(legal in NJ I believe)and keep your shots under 30 yds. However, you will still need to pattern the gun before hand.

Good luck
Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: bcvd45

I would look at the Remington 870. If you want to turkey hunt look at the 870 Super Mag.(It can hold a 3.5" shell) It is a good gun you can pick up for around $300. It has adjustable chokes and you can buy a rifled barrel for it later if you want to. But they sell rifled slugs so I wouldn't worry about it.
Just what I was thinking.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

slugs are legal in nj
Old 11-25-2008, 07:21 AM

I HAVE A REMINGTON 870 EXPRESS 12GA I SHOT SLUGS & HUNT TURKEY WITH IT. IT'S A GOOD FIRST SHOT GUN, ALSO YOU GREEN MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A HUNTER SAFTY CLASS IF YOU CAN, STAYING SAFE ON THE FIELD IS JUST AS IMPORTANT AS WHAT KIND OF GUN TO BUY & HUNT W/ GOOD LUCK & SEE YA ON THE FIELD.......